Thread: What are the largest wheel/tire combinations that will fit a 1969 Firebird?

What are the largest wheel/tire combinations that will fit a 1969 Firebird?

I recently put a 455 in my '69 firebird to do some racing but can't get that horse power to the road with the standard wheel/tire combination. I would like to go with a 245 or so (bigger) up front and a 305 or so (bigger) in back but am not sure if they will fit the factory wheel well. I don't want to cut any metal.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    i have no idea, its highly unlikely you will get anyone to answer this question lol. You might but first gen f-bodies are far away from s-series trucks

You're not going to fit a 305 in the back, but with the right wheel you can get a 295 back there.
    To hook that up, I'd go with a drag radial, like Mickey Thompson's or BFG's.

Im not sure on a firebird but I had 275's on my '77 nova and could have run 295's with the right backspacing and rolling the fenders...

295 will never tuck on a stock bodied 4th gen nova but they will fit if you are at a stock height and have a good stiff suspension. BUt they wont take to much backspacing b/f those tires rub mine rubbed the stock dual exhaust, but they are different animals from the earlier f bodies

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    295 will never tuck on a stock bodied 4th gen nova but they will fit if you are at a stock height and have a good stiff suspension. BUt they wont take to much backspacing b/f those tires rub mine rubbed the stock dual exhaust, but they are different animals from the earlier f bodies
    Yeah it was stock height in the back and 295's would have been flush with the fenders but wouldnt tuck. Had a nice rake to it, I miss that car lol... I know they're totally diff cars wasnt sure if I'd be any help. They dont look like they have a whole lot of room to play in the back without minitubing at least.

The question is kind of pointless IMO.

Explain what suspension mods you are planning....

Tires alone will probably not make a nose heavy bigblock firebird hook, let alone launch.

Shocks will also come into play before you are done.

Sticky tires are the easy solution for vehicles that make some power but don't fool yourself into beleiving that you have too much power when you can't get it to hook regardless of what tire you try.

my stock 350 nova could break the295/50s loose all day long. they are way to light in the rear

I have 15x8 wheels and 275/50/15 tires on my 68. It looks great, works fine and don't rub. I think it won't have much change on 69. You can have a try to this, I think it will work fine with 69.