Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carb problems

carb problems

The blazer has been sitting for quite some time without being started because I have been trying to figure out what to do with the driveshaft. Well, I finally got a driveshaft and put it in, and now I have a huge flooding issue. The carb loads up so bad that it is leaking out around the shaft where the linkage hooks up. It ran fine when I put the engine in but it has sat a couple months now. Float stuck? Float maybe have a hole in them causing them to sink? Help me out great carb gods! Lol. Btw, it is a eldebrock 600 4 barrel. Thanks
    2000 Red Dime sitting low.and pretty.

Get a gasket kit, pull it off take it apart and clean it and put it back together...

The carb is clean as a wistle. I don't see it being dirty enough to cause these kind of issues. Don't think it would be a bad float? I guess I will pull it and take it apart but I don't think that will do it. Is there a way to test the float without pulling it off the engine?

pull the top off the carb. the floats are right there. you can do it on the moter.just remove the rods first. under the goldcovers w/one screw on the top.

What he said..

I had this same problem. Engine ran fine without driveshaft. As soon as I got the shaft in and attempted to take her for a spin the carb flood and gas was actually coming out down by the bottom of the linkage.

http://www.youtube.com/comment_servl...&v=vKclUKm4MCU

The problem was I had too much PSI. The car required 5-7 and I had 10 psi going to the carb. Before I cranked it up I pulled the plugs and turned over the engine to blow out any fuel sitting in the cylinders and I changed the oil just incase. Everything checked out OK.
    VW makes it, Chevy shakes it...

BTW, I got a carb regulator to fix the problem. Summit sells them for $25. They're supposed to be Summit's line of regulators but the casting of the regulator had the holley logo.

It ran fine when I had the engine and trans in the xcab s10. I'm not running a electric fuel pump. Would I still need a regulator? It woulnt even idle at this point so I think the float is stuck. Thanks for the help guys. I will have to check the fuel pressure, but without it idling I don't think I will be able to.

what kind of fuel pump are you running?? if your running the stock in tank pump you definatley need a regulator, if its a manual engine driven pump you should be ok, but might want to check pressure when your cranking it to be sure. wouldnt hurt to pull the top off the carb and clean up and double check the float adjustments. with the engine not running for a while some fuel has prolly evaporated out of the carb and can leave a residue around the float needle which could cause it not to seat properly.
    '50 Chevy Styleline... aka Voodoo Sled... 4dr to become a 2dr... choptop to come... 5.3/4l60e to come... bagged and laid out to come...
    Build Thread

'88 Blazer... Dropped 6in.. suicide hood... suicide doors... handmade one-off phantom grill... shaved bumper... shaved cowl... shaved doorhandles... frenched license plate... 350/TH350....My Blaz Page Check out my Suicide Hood How-to Suicide Hood Pics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite Dragon View Post
    what kind of fuel pump are you running?? if your running the stock in tank pump you definatley need a regulator,

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawg View Post
    I'm not running a electric fuel pump.

Im going with the needle not sealing against the seat, take it off and clean it.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

I have a stock mechanical pump on mine and it needed a regulator. It was pumping around 10 psi on average and would spike to 15 psi at times. A regulator is cheap insurance.

Thanks guys. I will check it all out. Now I just got to make some time. I've been out of town with work for a few weeks but when I get back I wil def check it all out.

Well bad just got worse. Pulled the top off the carb and everything was clean and adjusted. Put it back together and still flooding. So I went and bought a inline pressure regulator. It started and ran good for about 2 minutes but it had to be set down to 3psi or it would flood. Then it acted like it was starving for fuel so I set the regulator up to 5 psi and it now isn't getting any fuel. I pulled the line below the regulator that is coming from the fuel pump and it barely squirted when I cranked it over. Almost like it has a blocked filter but I removed the filter down on the frame and put a clear one up by the carb, so that's not the problem. Can mechanical fuel pumps flucuate pressure when they are going bad? The blazer has plenty of gas in it, so its not out of gas. The clear filter isn't even getting fuel into it now, so I pretty much have no pressure at all. What do you guys think? Thanks. Jason

Banned
    did u take the stock pump out and put in a sending unit?

plug your return on your pump and crank it over and see what kind of fuel your getting out of it then...

Your pump could be going bad...yes.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

I just took the two lines coming from the tank that were originally hooked to the tbi and hooked them to the mechanical pump. I didn't pull the electric fuel pump or replace the sending unit. I thought all you had to do is unhook the relays. But before I had too much pressure now I have no pressure. I will try to plug the return and see if its got any pressure but I have a feeling the pump is shot. Thanks for the help superbee.