Thread: Cali Combo

Cali Combo

Ok, I have been out of the game for several years and have in my possession a Grant Kustoms Cali combo. I can't seem to find any good pictures depicting how others have done this install. So does anyone have any good tips please? I was thinking about removing the skin off my gate, and just using it as the framework. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Brian P.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/u...ovini/Side.jpg
    5/6 on 20" American Racing IROCS, but a long way from completion.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    a call combo usually replaces the entire gate, and on a blaze you just have to seal up the gap left b/t the floor and new skin. But i HIGHLY suggest you brace the fuck out of it. Use horizontal braces and diagonal. But idk about what you would do for a latch or interior panels, but i think leaving the inner skin from the tail gate could lead to future headaches

i would remove the old gate and brace it and then weld in the combo. i helped my buddy do his s10 and we used 1x1 18ga square tube. we used a chop saw for all the cuts and and degree finder to know what degree the cut needed to be, it worked great. but as said above idk what to do about latching the rear window. thats a huge reason i havent dont this mod. i would call grant or search around the internet you may find someone who found a way to latch the rear window. as far as panels you can just make some sheet metal panels. i would do 2 braces vertical and horizontal at the very least.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

Thanks guys. I may just hold off on this portion of the project until after all the other body mods are finished. Not to mention, it will let me get some practice welding before I tackle this.

Brian P.
    5/6 on 20" American Racing IROCS, but a long way from completion.

i would recomend you use co2/argon steel mix.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

Can you not chop the latch off of the old tailgate and plan your bracing to allow it to mount on top in the right postion. Just figure out where it will be at by measuring before you cut find the height and distance from both sides, find the best plase to cut it off and then either weld that to the skin, or weld it to your bracing. If you are welding it to your bracing I would make that top bar of bracing a little heavier duty to make sure that you don't tweak it from use.