Thread: Front differential questions for 94 bravada

Front differential questions for 94 bravada

Ok so ive decided that since its and suv and was 4wd (well AWD) I would get my 94 bravada to a 4x4. My front diff for one is well, FUCKED. I took the axles out and it no longer makes that grinding/clunking noise that i orginally thought was my t-case (which is also bad too but dont make noise) in my first post on here when i joined.

I liked it being 2wd and have the torsion screws backed all the way out but it was riding and bump stops and rode like crap and i put the front end back up but not was high as it was when i got it. Im making it 4wd again and lifting it.

My questions:
    What front diff should i look for?
    And im doing away from the BS "SMARTTRAC" crap too so can i just get a regular S10 blazer/jimmy t-case?

I want to be able to choose between 2 and 4wd. And i already know ill have to cut a hole in my solid floor and lose my center console but oh well its broken up and the power seat dont even work so ill live. Haha.

Thanks in advance,
    Breaking stuff takes talent.

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    You don't have to cut the floor unless you want the oldschool shifter knob style 4x4. The electronic on the fly push button set up is much better imo but it will need its control module and all the wiring. The T case you have is valuable to sy and ty owners who race and destroy those units so dont' throw it out, sell it!
    "All I need iz 1 mic"

Yeah I'm goin for that old style push button is nice but too much work for me lol. I found a front differ and transfer case from a 91 s-blazer for $100 goin to get that stuff this weekend. And getting my new rust free mint front clip and just drivin this 225k bravada til it falls completely apart and then find another 4 door blazer.

Hey little piece of advice i was toldd and not sure if it'll apply to your situtation, but those awd t-cases should always be engaged or hooked up because of the viscous cluth, apparently it needs the restriction i guess is the word behind it or you can fry the viscous cluth apparently. But to go with a 4wd setup up you'll need the front axle half on passangers side so you can retain what you have for the front diff, there is a vacum acuator that is suppose to discount your front axle since these run off a live i think is the name axle system, most die out fast and quit working and you can actually discount it from the vacum to cable actuattor. Looks similar to what is used for cruise control. So what happens when you go to 2wd it'll disconnect the front axle, as far as trannsfer cases the model numbers i don't know their all made by new process if i recall in first generations, but for the first generations there is a push button model which is 92 to 94 and the 91 under which has the shifter on the floor. I'm actually doing the complete oposite to what you are doiing. I'm going fromm 4x4 to awd. Want to swap t cases and axle halfs lol

Forgot to add by disconnecting the cable from actuator you can manually disconnect the front axle that way, if not i found with mine it was engaged all the time and the only thing that would disconnnect was the t-case and your front differential and front drive shaft would always spin other wise, also to emlinated guess work, you need to change the flange on your front differential since the 4x4 t-case and front diff use a u-joint style drive shaft and the t-case is mounted differently, i think its clocked counter clock wise where the awd bw4472 is clocked clock wise. Honestly if you do it buy a doner vehicle it'll save alot of time and money

I know i missed something so anyone want to step in and correct me

well i got lucky maybe. i bought a t-case, drive shaft and the whole front diff for $100 with 102k on it worked good before yanked. and i got everything but that cable got cut but i found a cable deal thru LMC to where you can engage and disengage the front diff from inside the blazer so im good there haha. now its finding time to do it.

Did you get the push button model or shifter on rhe floor? And you got that for dirt cheap great find! I paid 300 for the swap parts to awd

i got the shifter on the floor tcase. the kid was parting a 93 he just wanted the stuff gone and had no clue what the stuff was worth. i gave him $50 for all the glass lol. and he ended up giving me the hood, interior parts. lots of crap. all the crap to have the floor shift for the tcase yeah lol.

Holy heck! Even if t case needs rebuild that's a steal

Lol i know right. But i just got to think. I really hope that front diff will work with having a 3.73 posi gear in the rear. Idk if it will or if ill have to put my rear i got from a 91 4x4 s-blazer in. IDFK! Anyone know how to find the ratio? Or got my ideas how to help? Gotta get this 4x4 working cause the construction sites i drive to are getting very sloppy thanks to it raining all the time now.