Thread: Tip's Needed: Drop Springs (front)

Tip's Needed: Drop Springs (front)

I have installed Belltech drop spindles on an S-10 before. I would like any tips for also installing drop coil springs up front at the same time. I have never pulled a coil spring out and want to make sure I do it right the first time. The truck will be up on jack stands completely with a floor jack under the lower control arm. So, once I have the spindle removed do I lower the jack under the lower control arm a bit to take the load off the spring? How low many inches roughly do you have to lower the lower control arm to get the spring out? I have heard of a device for compressing the coil springs for installation, does that exist? Is that tool necessary?

Thanks ahead of time for any tip's. :D
    Last edited by nicoloyd; 08-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.

You already know what to do. The LCA will drop 2 or 3 inches before the load is completely off the spring. Dont forget to remove the shock before you pull off the spindle though.

I didn't need a coil spring compressor to install mine (2"drop), but I couldn't drop the LCA enough to get the OE spring out from the balljoint side. I wound up doing it from the back side (unbolting the LCA and leaving the balljoint on). I would recommend using the noise isolaters though. And chain the spring to the frame so that if it decides to fly out it doesn't kill you. And make sure it's seated in the pocket.

Yes, I do not want to kill myself during this. Thanks for the chain tip.

Pulling the spring from the balljoint side is possible though, right? I would like to avoid having to pull the lower control arm bolts.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    I was able to pull my stock springs out fairly easy just by pushing the lower control arm down with my weight and pulling at the same time. By the time I let the jack down slowly the spring was under no compression at all. I just had to get it up and out of the spring pocket.

Also, it has been mentioned, but double check everything is seated right as you re-assemble.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    ^ this. Ive always had to put my foot against the lower arm once all the pressure was off the spring to get the coil out.

Very interesting.

Mine gave me the finger and wouldn't come out ball joint side. I'd try the ball joint way first to see if you can do it like that...the backside isn't fun, trust me.