Thread: V8 swap questions

V8 swap questions

Hiya... the time has come, after all my lurking, slacking, procrastinating and otherwise screwing around i am finally going to finish my blazer the way I want it. So first on the list is a V8 swap. I have a standard 350 but i was wondering what transmission i would want. Also i have a digital gauge truck so when i swap the engine thats gone. What would yall sugest for gauges till i get my '57 dash installed? and my final question... i have a 4wd that isnt going to be 4wd anymore. will i have anything extra to do to the frame?

need some more info on the motor set-up

if you going carb and want good gas mileage/highway driving than get a 700r4

going with electronic then a 4L80e or a 4L60e

then if you want just get a 6sp

have to ask superbee about the 4wd stuff he has a 2wd 4wd
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

define "the way I want ".

mild V8 to Prosteeted leaves alot of room for interpretation.

daily driver should be injected with an overdrive tranny and lockup.

Saturday night special can get away with alot more

Do you have a second vehicle or are you doing this on the fly?

Banned
    For your guages that a mute point, if you use the origional senders then they will work just like before. they dont know what engine is in the bay.

4wd, if your not going to use it then save some money or time and ditch the front axle so you can use a standard oil pan. dont forget to re-install your outer axle hubs.

other than that you will have to worry about the headers, either pay more for the 4wd;s or fit the 2wd's in with a little work.

Get an overdrive transmission with lockup, even on a weekend cruiser, i still see no reason to use a 3 speed transmission. Unless you only drive from your house to the mailbox to get your mail. and even then id only use one if it was dirt cheap and hard up for cash

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
    1989 s10 blazer 355, 650dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortec heads, built 700r4, 8.8 3:73ls, qtp cutouts

Last edited by Superbee; 09-26-2010 at 03:30 PM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    werd 3 speeds are no bueno. I wish i would have had the cash to rebuild my 700r when it blew. You can easily daily a carb, i have been for a long time now, but i would highly suggest an overdrive trans

ok thanks guys, this is not going to be a prostreet quarter killer or anything, it is just my daily, i just came into this 350 by chance. And when i said "the way i want it" i had a plan for this truck from about day 1. and a 350 was part of that plan.

I hate to say this but with the decline in popularity of the s10 there are alot of v8'd s-series on craigslist at very reasonable prices. Many with airbags and paint.

I hate to say this but with the decline in popularity of the s10 there are alot of v8'd s-series on craigslist at very reasonable prices. Many with airbags and paint.

Yeah Big I have noticed the same thing, but I would rather build not buy.......that's just me

Some I see need to be redone from quick swap jobs
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    Yeah Big I have noticed the same thing, but I would rather build not buy.......that's just me

Some I see need to be redone from quick swap jobs
    Its just that time of year and life where people are ditching projects or toys. Saw one for $ 1200. 1200 Doesn't buy very many new pieces.

I agree you still have to make good decisions on whether to buy the vehicle as it sits

Back to the original question.......700rv4 will be the cheapest and best performing for a. Carbn
    Last edited by bigjsp; 10-05-2010 at 04:19 PM.