Thread: need some opinions

need some opinions

So. I need some advice as to what i should do.

Here is my current set up on a 86 blazer 2wd 2.8 manual 2 door.

Front:
    2" drop spindles with coils that were supposed to be 3" drop coils. They weren't so i cut about half a coil off. Bottom of fender sits about 1/2"away from the tire with 245/40 r18's.

Back:
    3" blocks on stock leaf with one leaf remove. Bolt in cnotch.

What i want is better handling, and better ride quality up front. Rides fine in the rear cept the rear will hit my exhaust which i have to fix. The front bottoms out really easy which is what i would like to fix. I do plan on adding a sway bar to the rear.

So what would you guys recommend to get some more comfort. Oh and i am running belltech nitrogen drop 2 shocks.

On mine I used the 2" drop spindles and left the stock springs. I did put a torch on the spring to level it out, for some reason it sat off kilter a bit. I used the better grade shock from NAPA and the front rides really good. I'm not slamming it on the ground so I'm good with the static drop, the back is 3", but it looks lower in the front. When I heated the spring, I applied only enough to fix the lean, not collapse it to go lower....don't feel like front end repairs real soon. Good luck with yours, hope you can get it smooth again.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    to get a better ride up front id suggest getting the proper springs first and a GOOD shock. Then if you are still unhappy with the ride look into modding the lower arms. You can find tons of info on this from the air bag world. Its normally called de-humping the control arms. If you look at the front and rear of the lower control arm there are "humps" on them, and its what normally contacts the frame first when you bottom out. You cut those off and weld them up flat. It gives you a little more suspension travel and a smoother ride under normal circumstances

I thought the shocks were pretty good. it rode good before I cut the springs. Guess I am answering my own question with this post though....:nod:

I cut the springs cause I was doing some research and my suppossed 3" coils were more like a 2" coil. I compared ride heights from guys on here that had the same setup as I thought I had, and I was an inch higher. The measurements we used where from the center of the wheel to the fender. I really wasnt to concerned with how it rode before cause i used to have a 3 mile drive to work at most. Now i moved to a different part of the country, the rodes are worse, and I have a 50 mile drive to work and back........

Guess I need to order some springs, but question is, since its a 2.8 do I still get the v6 springs, cause I know when I ordered my first set of 3" drop coils they didnt ask if it was a 4.3 or a 2.8. I am sure that there is a weight difference.

Oh and I had considered the lower control arms, but I think new ones are a little more then I want to spend. I am sure I can find someone that knows how to weld good at work though. Might have to get a junk yard set of arms and get them welded up ans swap them out.
    Last edited by hdridinas2; 02-16-2011 at 08:14 PM.

Cutting the springs is the same as going with a stiffer spring, so your ride is going to get harsher. Torching a spring is a bad way to go, you change the temper of the spring, and it will break eventually.
    I would get a set of lower control arms and dehump them to get more travel in the front. Also, I don't think there is enough of a weight difference to matter between a 2.8 and a 4.3....

BTW, I have 2" drop spindles and Belltech 2" drop springs, and my center of wheel to fender is 14.5"
    Last edited by wagonmaster; 02-19-2011 at 07:21 PM.

What brand coils you have wagonmaster?

Never mind. Read reply to fast and didn't catch the belltech. Lol
    Last edited by hdridinas2; 02-19-2011 at 09:24 AM. Reason: misread reply

Measured my truck and i am sitting at 13" from wheel center to fender. So i am leaning towards getting so new, good quality 3" coils, see how it rides, then maybe dehump some LCAs.

Quote Originally Posted by hdridinas2 View Post
    Measured my truck and i am sitting at 13" from wheel center to fender. So i am leaning towards getting so new, good quality 3" coils, see how it rides, then maybe dehump some LCAs.
    Sounds to me like you just have no travel left in the front end. What are you using for bump stops? You probably just need to get some travel back and you'll be good. Those coils sound right, I suspect replacing them won't do you any good. I'd dehump some stock arms first....

Quote Originally Posted by wagonmaster View Post
    Sounds to me like you just have no travel left in the front end. What are you using for bump stops? You probably just need to get some travel back and you'll be good. Those coils sound right, I suspect replacing them won't do you any good. I'd dehump some stock arms first....
    Yeah, no bumpstops. And you are def right bout the no travel...LOL. I was thinking that since you are sitting at 14.5 with the 2" coils I should be at 13.5 with the 3" coils. Think I might still get the actual 3" coils since I cut the ones that I had. I actually wanted to replace them anyway, cutting them was gonna be a get the stance that I wanted to and put up with the ride till I replaced them with good ones.