Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rebuilding a 2.8

i'm sure i wasn't that clear cause the information i'm looking for is not a bolt on option cause i know what i could get there... i thought i could get some help from people in regards to the internals, rods, lifters, camshaft, crank, bearings, etc... cause i'm not sure the best combination.... that is all but if i will not get the answers i'm looking for then i don't believe this post was necessary and should be closed...

sorry to say but you wont get the answers your looking for, because no one has wasted their money on those type of 2.8 mods

as far as the BEST combination........is called a 350 in a S10

focker out..........
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Quote Originally Posted by 87Slowblaze View Post
    thank you for this comment but i wasn't talking about the access to the top end of the motor i was referring to the fact i have a 4x4 and it is not as straight forward as it is for a 2wd... addition parts and clearance around transfer case, etc...

as for everyone else, thank you for your comments. I can now see that so many of you are narrow minded... only going down the road everyone else travels... i perfer to be different and do things against the norm... so if that causes me to put money into a P.O.S. to get something out the other end is "unique" then that is what i'll do... and what is wrong with Modifying a Minivan... there were some nice turbo Caravans back in the day that make nice sleepers....
    a v8 in no way shape or form affects transfer case clearance. :evil:

oh and just so you know they make v8 swap oil pans and headers specific to the 1st gen 4x4 chassis

oh an on a side note, since you were not talking about "top of the motor access". I can drop my t56 out replace the clutch and be driving in about 2 hours working on my back without a transmission.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 10-24-2010 at 09:51 AM.

My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

this is a real engine

it is sitting in my engine bay right now and will piss on your 2.8. mabey ill use a 2.8 for a anchor to slow me down and get worse fuel milleage...... post closed.... o one last thing, mines a 4x4......

87SlowBlaze, take a moment to look over Turner and SuperBee's threads. They both own V8 powered 4wd trucks. It's not as complicated as it seems.

Honestly, I've been over this debate myself with my 2.8 whenever I decide to change it out (still runs fine). In my own findings, the 2.8, 3.1,and 3.4L motors are ALL very expensive to rebuild or to "modify".

I understand these guys seem to be coming off very one-sided but they have all weighed this decision and have all come to the same conclusion. For the price to rebuild a 2.8 or do a 3.4 swap, why not build a simple 350 which makes double+ the HP and still get about or above the fuel economy of a 2.8 or 3.4L.

Also, if you've gone over the options available for the 2.8, why are you asking about them? You will know by now that the cam, intake, TBI, Ti-Tech headers, 1.6 ratio rocker arms, GMPP 2.8L heads, GMPP 3.4L turn-key engine, exhaust, etc...etc... are minimal HP upgrade for money that could be well-spent on a 350.

They make headers, motor mounts, oil pans, radiators, etc..etc.. that allow for a complete and very easy drop-in of a 350 into a 4wd frame and STILL allow for the 4wd to work with no clearance issues, still allow for A/C, and also plenty of room to work. Hell, for that matter it's more of a pain in the ass to change the last 2 plugs on a 4.3L than it is to change the last 2 plugs on a V8 because of the position the motor mounts sit the motor.

If you feel you still want to do the 2.8L mod or swap to a 3.4L after reading this, PM me and I'll do all I can to inform you of part #'s, pricing, etc. on the parts that I know of for those motors...
    85' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.8L*Sold*
    88' S-10 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.5L *Sold*
    88' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD R Code 2.8L *Daily Project*
    89' Jimmy 2dr 2WD Z Code 4.3L TBI *Parts Truck*
    92' Jimmy 4Dr 2WD W Code 4.3L Vortec *Sold*

Quote Originally Posted by FeTTo View Post
    please tell me you just took your stupid pill before posting that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 87Slowblaze View Post
    i'm sure i wasn't that clear cause the information i'm looking for is not a bolt on option cause i know what i could get there... i thought i could get some help from people in regards to the internals, rods, lifters, camshaft, crank, bearings, etc... cause i'm not sure the best combination.... that is all but if i will not get the answers i'm looking for then i don't believe this post was necessary and should be closed...
    I do actually know one guy, local to me, who dumped close to $4,000 into his "high performance" 2.8, and it dyno'd at a shade over 200 hp at 4500 rpm...then it fell on it's face (not that it had far to fall) The engine is still sitting on a stand, has been for about 5 years now...my guess is that he's to embarrassed to put it in anything..

With that kind of money, a VERY stout 350 could have been built, or a good used LSX swap could have been done, with much better results than building up what is arguably the worst engine platform gm has ever produced..
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

streetissuecustoms.com low_blazer's Avatar
    Not like any of these posts matter....he didn't get the answers he wanted about the dogshit motor and blindly wandered off to greener pastures, full of steaming 2.8 piles...
    Doug
    '85 Blazer...bagged, small-blocked, back-halfed and body dropped
    http://streetissuecustoms.com/salesban_3.jpg
    Street Issue Customs

For all your custom fiberglass, interior or stereo needs... Epicenter Designs

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    That post would have made more sense if you would have just pissed all over the screen and posted a screen shot of that.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f30/83...3/index22.html

keep in mind im almost positive most people could not duplicate this seeing as how they made alot of the parts for it from scratch, but its still pretty neat none the less. However unless you have access to the parts, and can get a machinest to work for free, it would be rediculously expensive to pay to have this built