Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rearend shot

rearend shot

Hi all. My first post here. Didnt see an introduce yourself spot so here i am.

2001 blazer sport
    2wd

I believe it has the 8.2 rear due to the groove/slot on the diff cover.
    I havent pulled the codes from the glovebox yet due to it being broke down several miles away.

The problem is in the rearend. The ring gear is shot and I just wanted to verify ID of the rearend in question.

Did these vehicles ever come with the 8.2?
    I cant find any reference to it anywhere. I have seen the 8.5-7.5 sticky.

Any help would be more than apprieciated!

I'm asking more or less to confirm my suspicions.

Thanks again everyone!

They only ever came with an 8.5 or 7.5. Someone could have swapped in something else, but that would be the only way it wasn't one of the two. Use the sticky to identify if it is one of those two.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Quote Originally Posted by 01sport View Post
    I have seen the 8.5-7.5 sticky.
    Perhaps you are correct about the swap-in from a previous owner. What benefits would this swap bring to the table, if any?

The diff cover has the groove across it.

Also, I could find no reference to the 8.2 ever being stock on these.

It's an automatic. Dont think I put that in the first post, if it helps.
    Thanks for the reply!
    Last edited by 01sport; 10-29-2010 at 09:05 AM.

I'm just confirming that the sticky is the best place to identify them. I take it that you are positive it isn't an 8.5 or 7.5? Honestly, I have never heard of an 8.2. I haven't spent a lot of time around older cars or much not GM, so I may not be familiar with it. I can tell you for near a fact that these trucks only came with 7.5s (which was revised into a 7 5/8 about 89-90) and 8.5s.

Another possibility is a previoius owner replaced the dif cover with a different style cover. If you could get some pictures I know there are some guys who are very knowledgable here who could help too.

Harley- Thanks for the replies. Wasnt trying to come across as dickish. I've rebuilt a Chrysler 8.25 (rednecked it. didnt have coin for what i should have at the time)

Now the diff cover swap is a real possibility, dont know why it would be done, though.

I'm at all kinds of loss due to the axle tubes being the "narrowing" typle like the 8.5.

It's a blazer sport 2wd. From out of state. 2wd blazers are almost unheard of here.

I thought about the ford 8.8 swap, and the search function quotes the first word etc. of whatever I put in and says under 3 word min.

Again, not to sound like a dick, but I almost shudder to ask about the 8.8 due to some responses I've found to others doing my "manual search". (Reading page by page.)

Thanks again!

8.8 or 9" is more likely than a Chrysler swap. Haven't seen anybody do that since the Ford rears are strong, cheap, and easy to swap in. I don't know much on the Ford swap myself. I'm sure superbee on this forum has an 8.8 under his Blazer, but can't think of anoyne else.

There is no good way from the vehicle options (2wd/4wd, auto/manual, etc.) to determine what it was supposed to come with from the factory between the 8.5 and 7.5. Pretty much just have to take pictures or look at pictures to help identify it.

Would it be easier to swap in the 8.8 than do the ring and pinion? Would like to keep the stock rear (whatever it is) because the local parts place get bent out of shape when you go in asking for brake parts etc. in modded vehicles.

I know it would have to be redrilled to the chev bolt pattern. And a different ujoint deal to mate with the drive shaft.

I was looking at 3.73 gears if I'm going to do the ring and pinion.
    It's my understanding ford 8.8 mostly have this stock and posi. Correct?

Depends on what you are capable and comfortable with as well as who you ask haha I personally like the 8.5, but there are a whole lot more Ford rear ends out there. On another note I've picked up a good working 7 5/8 for $80 off craigslist, so if you just want to replace the stock that may be an option.

As far as the 8.8 questions I'm no good there.

Your best bet for finding an 8.8 that'll work is from an Explorer between 96 and 2000. Most of these came with disc brakes, trac-loc, 31 spline axles, 1.32" axle shaft diamter @ splines while 1 5/8 @ flange, and 3.5" axle tubes.

Note* all 8.8 rears are 6" wider than a stock 2wd rearend.

Also note that your e-brake cable, driveshaft yoke, wheel bolt pattern, and brake lines will need to be adapted to your factory parts.

The 8.8 will fit the stock s10 spring perches by simply spreading the leafs apart by 1/2" with your foot.
    85' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.8L*Sold*
    88' S-10 2Dr 2WD Blown 2.5L *Sold*
    88' Jimmy 2Dr 2WD R Code 2.8L *Daily Project*
    89' Jimmy 2dr 2WD Z Code 4.3L TBI *Parts Truck*
    92' Jimmy 4Dr 2WD W Code 4.3L Vortec *Sold*

Quote Originally Posted by FeTTo View Post
    please tell me you just took your stupid pill before posting that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks guys for all the input! I wasnt thinking of a chrysler swap, just mentioning that I have done rear work. My fault for not being clear.

I have some trouble getting to the blaze as my other truck is giving me fits as well.
    From somewhat foggy memory, I believe it to be 8.5. (what the hell are those lil tabs at the bottom for, and those swells at the punkin' look different kinda remembering).

Now then, what ratio would you fine folks recommend? I'm caught between 3.42 and 3.73.

The blazer, when fixed, is a fun commuter and will see some highway runs here and there.

So, to give it a lil more gitty-up-go and not murder me at the pump, what would you put in?

Banned
    What engine and transmission are you running?

And welcome!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
    1989 s10 blazer 355, 650dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortec heads, built 700r4, 8.8 3:73ls, qtp cutouts

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    What engine and transmission are you running?

And welcome!
    please read first and third post.......

I like my 3.42s, they have good launch and the RPMs aren't bad on the highway with a automatic (4L60e)

if you can snap some pictures and load them on to photobucket then image link them here, we maybe able to tell you what rear you have in the blazer
    Last edited by blazin4low; 11-04-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Banned
    ahh my bad. I say just throw a stock rear in it then.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
    1989 s10 blazer 355, 650dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortec heads, built 700r4, 8.8 3:73ls, qtp cutouts

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

blazin4low- Like the 3.42, huh? That's what I was looking for. A voice of experience with the gear ratios.
    My blaze has scoot now, at least when it has a functional diff. I figured if I'm going to do the rnp, why not go with something a little bit more fun.

I'm going to try to get to the blazer today. Will take pix, just dont know if I'll be able upload.

Thanks all.

Update: can't get to the blazer today, or work, other truck dead.
    Last edited by 01sport; 11-04-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: add update

look at your dash codes and see what you have now, if you think someone swapped a different rear in then find out what you have and go from there
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me