Thread: how do i clear bare aluminum?

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar

how do i clear bare aluminum?

I refinished my stock 95 4x4 wheels recently. I took off all the clear with wire brushes, cleaned any pitting, scuffed the whole wheel.

I prepped the interior with a self etching primer, wet sanded, and I've got at least 10 coats of rustoleum gloss black on the spokes; the lug holes are brush painted with a few coats. All cleared.

The machined aluminum around the center hub and trim has turned into polished with a few different polishes and a couple recharges on the drill.

I was going to get them powdercoated to last when herein lies a problem..... the powdercoating temp will screw up the paint, hey usually sandblast them prior to coating anyway (all my work gone). BUT, I can't just clear coat them because the clear wont stay on the bare metal.

They look great in my living room, but I'd really like to put them on my truck! I'll post pics tomorrow probably. Anybody got an idea how to make these things weather resistant?????

Graphic Artist 4 hire Whataburger's Avatar
    use duplicolor clearcoat for wheels, works great!
    Gerald "WHATABURGER" Martin
    www.whatadesigns.com

Graphic Artist 4 hire Whataburger's Avatar
    duplicolor also makes a clear adhesion promoter (primer) too....
    Gerald "WHATABURGER" Martin
    www.whatadesigns.com

License and Registration? RustyButTrusty's Avatar
    Duplicolor will peel off... get them sprayed with real clear!
    Originally posted by s10blaza
    Blazin Low's own deputy sergeant Jr.
    2000 S-10 LS : Regular cab, Short Bed, 2.2L w/5spd - 4/5.5 drop, chrome bumper, side swept exhaust, shaved tailgate, billet grille, '57 Chevy Mirrors, 8000*K HID headlights, 3000*K HID foglights - More to come!

I called a body shop to get them cleared and the guy said regular clear shot would never stick to the bare metal. That's what started the powdercoating idea....

http://www.eastwood.com/specialty-co...ero-11-oz.html

I found this stuff after a little research, I'm going to call the company to see if it is safe to cover paint, too (the metal clear and the paint clear are different part numbers). If it works, I need a garage for the right temp, unless I do it in the apartment while the roommate's gone!

I called Eastwood's Tech service this morning and left a message; they called back within an hour! Turns out, the bare metal clear is too harsh for paint (usually). BUT, they make one for paint, too! I could test the metal clear and see if it will mar the paint or I'm back into the "tape, score, spray, repeat" routine. I'm going to just put the work in, they're so close to being done it is killing me.

This is an aerosol product with a self leveling formula. In my research, I found other products with good reviews. For those wondering, they are 2-3 stage wipe/brush on processes that achieve durable finishes. Good for covering entire wheels and parts.

Google: Evercoat. Zoopseal. Eastwood. & metal clear for more information.

And yeah, I'll still post the pics.

I can't get my pics to upload....