Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4.3L performance suggestions?

Can't post 4 9 months now travis_r1988's Avatar

4.3L performance suggestions?

anyone have suggestions for a 1992 4.3L TBI 'Z' code engine with a 5 speed for performance? it is a daily driver and has an exhaust on it, considering cam, not over the top but not too mild. would like to keep TBI, cat, and 4.3L.
    suggestions on cam, lifters, etc. what do i gain, what do i lose, what does it cost, difficulty? it has to be budget friendly.
    -1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Tahoe. 2 door, 2wd, vin 'Z' 4.3L V6, 5 speed, lowered 2/3, catback, the daily driver project
    -1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS. 4 door, 2wd, vin 'W' 4.3L V6, auto, stock. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by travis_r1988 View Post
    anyone have suggestions for a 1992 4.3L TBI 'Z' code engine with a 5 speed for performance? it is a daily driver and has an exhaust on it, considering cam, not over the top but not too mild. would like to keep TBI, cat, and 4.3L.
    suggestions on cam, lifters, etc. what do i gain, what do i lose, what does it cost, difficulty? it has to be budget friendly.
    how much power do you want?

Banned
    cam would be an AWSOME mod. TBI is super picky on mods and you WILL have to tune it with any internal mod. Being that your in texas, surely there is a dyno shop somewhere that knows how to tune obd1 tbi ecm's

Id do a cam, 00' concord electric fans, and a dyno tune (unless your interested in going down the road of DIY tuning) and if thats not in your goal range, the vortec head swap also..... If you decide you want more like springing for some aluminum heads or anything else your past the money mark where you should have just put a v8 based engine in. But used good priced vortec heads and good priced cam, dyno tune and e-fan will still be cheaper than the 8 banger swap depending on how you play your cards.

but ya answer mark what your goals are.

im just glad your actually considering touching the inside of the engine instead of being dead set on pissing in the wind with bolt ons expecting real results like half the morons on s10forum.
    Last edited by Superbee; 11-30-2010 at 05:52 PM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    cam would be an AWSOME mod. TBI is super picky on mods and you WILL have to tune it with any internal mod. Being that your in texas, surely there is a dyno shop somewhere that knows how to tune obd1 tbi ecm's

Id do a cam, 00' concord electric fans, and a dyno tune (unless your interested in going down the road of DIY tuning) and if thats not in your goal range, the vortec head swap also..... If you decide you want more like springing for some aluminum heads or anything else your past the money mark where you should have just put a v8 based engine in. But used good priced vortec heads and good priced cam, dyno tune and e-fan will still be cheaper than the 8 banger swap depending on how you play your cards.

but ya answer mark what your goals are.

im just glad your actually considering touching the inside of the engine instead of being dead set on pissing in the wind with bolt ons expecting real results like half the morons on s10forum.

i suggest and edelbrock camshaft, L35 cpi heads, 1.6 ratio roller rockers, long tubes, e-fan, and some tuning.
    Last edited by 6SpeedBlazer; 11-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Banned
    you gain much with those heads? I know on the v8 version (cpi v6, tpi being the v8 brother) the tune port heads are only a small gain from the tbi versions.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    you gain much with those heads? I know on the v8 version (cpi v6, tpi being the v8 brother) the tune port heads are only a small gain from the tbi versions.
    the l35 heads are good, not as good as vortec heads but still much better than lb4 tbi heads.

the main reason i say l35 heads is because you can use the stock intake and it will run decent on a stock tune since the combustion chambers are similar.

greg put vortec heads and a 2114 intake on my old 4.3, with a shit load of tuning it is still slower than what it ran in my blazer with a stock tune....

Banned
    well u and i both know tuning is everything and unless you really know your shit and know what your doing that can make or break anything. I did my own tune and got the a/f damn good and it drove like stock which was nice, but my shitty tbi chips mail order tune, altho had alot of driveability issues, ran quite a bit faster tan my tune wide open throttle.

looking to make it funner to drive and adding power, maybe upto 300hp/ft lbs. good mechanically but tune would be an issue
    -1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Tahoe. 2 door, 2wd, vin 'Z' 4.3L V6, 5 speed, lowered 2/3, catback, the daily driver project

i forget what that year motor came stock, but you should get close to 300 with a cam, roller rockers, heads, and a tune......may need some nitrous to get there too
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by EFI Alchemy
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!

you could just swap in a 350 underneath the stock 4.3 electronics and front end accessories and such
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Quote Originally Posted by Forklift View Post
    you could just swap in a 350 underneath the stock 4.3 electronics and front end accessories and such
    +1

time and money. it's the nonvortec 4.3L tbi, thinking a lunati voodoo cam (http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2366&gid=297) but where can i find heads? and what else can i do on a low budget? premium gas? valves? pistons? crank? intake manifold, exhaust manifolds? a v8 swap kit costs around $800 and doesn't include everything needed, a v8 swap would cost somewhere around $1500 minimum by what i've found, i'm looking for less than that at the moment, a v8 will be when the v6 blows to bits in a few years

would a newer (2001+) vortec 'w' code or 'x' code be better? more bang for my buck? and are there direct swap cams available for the vortec tbi v6s that new? it would certainly make for more reliability, maybe easier to tune?

Quote Originally Posted by travis_r1988 View Post
    time and money. it's the nonvortec 4.3L tbi, thinking a lunati voodoo cam (http://www.lunatipower.com/Product.aspx?id=2366&gid=297) but where can i find heads? and what else can i do on a low budget? premium gas? valves? pistons? crank? intake manifold, exhaust manifolds? a v8 swap kit costs around $800 and doesn't include everything needed, a v8 swap would cost somewhere around $1500 minimum by what i've found, i'm looking for less than that at the moment, a v8 will be when the v6 blows to bits in a few years
    please refer back to post number 4

cam
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-3714/

headers
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-69400/

e-fan
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge...Q5fAccessories

under drive pulleys also would not be a bad investment, i personally like them.

I also had some decent gains with a mono-bore throttle body spacer.

roller rockers are not a must have, i didnt run them on my 4.3 although i wanted to.