Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4.3L performance suggestions?

My Tape Deck Broke
    Ive went both routs and have found that Building v6's is pointless and to expensive. once your done you could have had a ls swap.
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

Can't post 4 9 months now travis_r1988's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    Ive went both routs and have found that Building v6's is pointless and to expensive. once your done you could have had a ls swap.
    How much would it run to do a full LS swap? and could a young man like me pull it off with out having a downed truck for months, I'm mechanically inclined but my master tech dad wants me to stay away from the industry and do something better with my life so I can't rely on him for help or guidance much, and he hasn't taught me a great deal. so i can rebuild motors, I can replace just about anything, but a complete swap? what is ever detail involved?
    -1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Tahoe. 2 door, 2wd, vin 'Z' 4.3L V6, 5 speed, lowered 2/3, catback, the daily driver project
    -1998 Chevrolet Blazer LS. 4 door, 2wd, vin 'W' 4.3L V6, auto, stock. Sold

Banned
    bah just because he doesnt want you to be a tech doesnt mean he cant help you.

Visit v8s10.org and also ls1tech.com, wealth of into on those site on stickies and threads. It would be futile to try and even start giving the info here when its already at those sites, and then some.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    bah just because he doesnt want you to be a tech doesnt mean he cant help you.

Visit v8s10.org and also ls1tech.com, wealth of into on those site on stickies and threads. It would be futile to try and even start giving the info here when its already at those sites, and then some.

He won't help me, I've asked him to help me and he refuses, he won't even give me advise or anything, the only reason he'll bring home specialty tools is b/c my mom gives him hell or buys the tool so I can get the job done, he'll help my older brother anytime but if I want his help I have to fight for months with him and hopefully my mom gets on him too, and even then he doesn't let me do much of the work, just makes me stand out of the way so I don't learn, b/c if I learn I'll wanna be a tech., or so he thinks, he also doesn't want me "wasting money" on the truck or any vehicle unless it is 100% necessary, easy for him to say b/c his first and every car up until now has been a bored out 400+hp 350 smallblock powered hot rod(66 c10, 65 elky, 75 monza, 77monza, 76 sunbird(monza), 86 camaro, now his car is an 86 fiero gt). He gave the 66 to my brother who ran it into 14s at the strip, who also has had a 76 firebird my dad baught him, an 87 firebird he ran into 12s before totalling it, 71 chevelle, now the 66 c10, my dad even put new tires on the 66 for him, but still won't help me b/c he doesn't like me having a hot rod to cruise in and show, maybe run at the strip ocassionally. nope no hot rod for the kid raised in the middle of the route 66 car show, next to the nascar track and the drag strip, surrounded by hot rods and hot rod shops, I guess thats why we moved to texas
    -1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer Tahoe. 2 door, 2wd, vin 'Z' 4.3L V6, 5 speed, lowered 2/3, catback, the daily driver project

My Tape Deck Broke
    well what I did was bought a crashed 04 gto with a ls2. the car was 5 grand. I pulled the motor and trans. Im not sure how much I made parting it out but I know i made $ on the deal. only thing that sucked was I had to change the oil pan and pulleys over to corvette. then every thing clears unless you want air. The air pump will hit the frame. but theres several ways around that. I sent the wire harness and computer to currentperformance.com they also sell headers mounts and a bracket for the pump. I used my stock radiator and put in some cheap fan from pep boys. The swap it self isnt to hard a v6 is basically the same as a v8 just missing 2 cylinders. Ive herd of experienced mechanics doing the swap in a week end. I got a new project and im hoping to have the swap done in a week. i couldnt imagine a week end. lol

heres a step by step how to from sport truck
    http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl...wap/index.html

heres a couple more links

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Che..._S-10_V-8.html
    advanceadapters.com
    s10v8.com
    www.s10forum.com/forum/v8-discussion
    v8s10.org
    http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...wap/index.html
    www.s10v8.com

Quote Originally Posted by travis_r1988 View Post
    He won't help me, I've asked him to help me and he refuses, he won't even give me advise or anything, the only reason he'll bring home specialty tools is b/c my mom gives him hell or buys the tool so I can get the job done, he'll help my older brother anytime but if I want his help I have to fight for months with him and hopefully my mom gets on him too, and even then he doesn't let me do much of the work, just makes me stand out of the way so I don't learn, b/c if I learn I'll wanna be a tech., or so he thinks, he also doesn't want me "wasting money" on the truck or any vehicle unless it is 100% necessary, easy for him to say b/c his first and every car up until now has been a bored out 400+hp 350 smallblock powered hot rod(66 c10, 65 elky, 75 monza, 77monza, 76 sunbird(monza), 86 camaro, now his car is an 86 fiero gt). He gave the 66 to my brother who ran it into 14s at the strip, who also has had a 76 firebird my dad baught him, an 87 firebird he ran into 12s before totalling it, 71 chevelle, now the 66 c10, my dad even put new tires on the 66 for him, but still won't help me b/c he doesn't like me having a hot rod to cruise in and show, maybe run at the strip ocassionally. nope no hot rod for the kid raised in the middle of the route 66 car show, next to the nascar track and the drag strip, surrounded by hot rods and hot rod shops, I guess thats why we moved to texas
    working on cars isnt exactly rocket science...

get a book, read on the internet, and dont be afraid to fuck up. thats how i started.

Banned
    and if you do, rub it in your dads face that it could have been prevented if he would have helped you.

btw you dont want to become an auto tech.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    working on cars isnt exactly rocket science...

get a book, read on the internet, and dont be afraid to fuck up. thats how i started.

well, there lies an issue, I'm expected by my dad to not fuck up, and I can't afford to fuck up bad. All the work on my trucks is done by me, and I havn't fucked up bad yet, but I don't want to push my luck too far, I'm also thinking if machine work isn't more than $600 I can build the v6 for under $2k, can I do a v8 swap for that? I'd have to put a better tranny behind it and a better rear end, beef up the suspension, so even if the engine wasn't more costly the work to prep the truck would be right?

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    and if you do, rub it in your dads face that it could have been prevented if he would have helped you.

btw you dont want to become an auto tech.

yeah I know, not the best of work conditions, not the best pay, hard to succeed in, etc. and sometimes I don't wanna be a tech, sometimes I do, in all honesty I wanna know what my dad knows and build bad ass cars, maybe start a shop when I retire to build show and race cars, or just bad ass street cars

Whats wrong with being a tech you can be a diesel or auto tech if you want its up to you what interest you the most but I would do them both in school and then decide on what you want to do for a living.

Banned
    its miserable and you get burnt out on it after year and year doing the exact same thing and you loose passion for your own toys.

that's why i didn't become one.......my garage is my shop and when I get to open the bay door to work on my blazer, the wife's blazer or one of my buddies vehicles, I still enjoy it.......

as for a swap, my dad said the same thing about wasting money and if you screw up then you don't have a vehicle.....well once I bought the motor he started to become intrested in the build....and now he thinks it's cool I was able to swap in a V8 with only the knowlege he gave me in his driveway......but I also had about two years of reading and research on the internet.

between school, work, and only being able to work on the blazer when the shop that let me use one of their lifts and bays......it took me 3 months, 1 month for tear down and figure out parts I was missing, 1 month for cutting up the motor harnesses and making one myself to keep the fuel injection, and 1 month to assemble everything
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

i had my tbi v8 swap done in less than a day.

my vortec 350 swap, actual working time was about 20 hours. it took a few weeks because summit kept sending me the wrong damn fuel line, then i had to wait for my pcm to get back from being tuned.

only reason i did the vortec swap is because my dad bet me that i couldn't do it.

Banned
    lol no it was because you got a good deal one a donor engine ;)

My Tape Deck Broke
    when I was a kid a guy down the street had a old 53 belair sitting next to his garage. He was a cool cat and I would hang in his garage and we would talk about cars. When I turned 16 he said I could have the car for a grand. I went home told my dad and he said he didnt want junk cars and car parts laying around the property so no. I went back told the guy what was up. His friend came over and asked me how much $ I had for a car I said $3 grand he said no problem he will finish it for 2 grand. My dad still said no he said how can I trust the mans work I dont even know him and its old so I probably would have more problems than what its worth. Turned out the guy who was going to finish the car was Chip Fooses dad. I rub it in my dads face every chance i get on how he fucked up. Some times parents are just to narrow minded to see past there noses.