Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body drop or not?

Alright thanks. Try this

Yaaaaaaayyy! It worked!

I'll upload some more pics of how I did the body drop tonight. And again thanks for everyone's help. Hopefully I'll be able to help someone by showing them what is actually involved in doing a body drop. Not hard just very time consuming. You'll see!

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    holy huge tire!!!!!!!! me like!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

That picture does no justice for the actual size of those bad boys. I ordered the roll cage from jegs, it's the jegs brand (jegster) for an s10 pickup. Fit ok. All the pieces are over sized for a better custom fit (so they say). The main hoop was supossed to sit on the body mounts which would have gave me a better fit but it wouldn't have been legal for competition so I moved the main hoop rearward 4" and built outriggers off the frame for it to mount to. Then I built another set of outriggers in front of the forward body mounts and behind the front tires for the A-pillar bars to set on. Now the cage is 6" longer then it was designed to be (good thing the pieces are over sized). Now throw a body drop into all of this and it starts to get confusing. The A-pilar bars are a little further away from the windshield then what I wanted and there not quite as close to the A-pilar itself as I wanted but it's strong and it'll pass tech. I also stated in an earlier post that I was going to use the competition engineering pre fab 4 link. Well, kinda went that route. Jegs called me and said it would take 8 weeks to get it built and another week to have it shipped. I don't have that kinda time if I want to have it done by mid May so I bought all the pieces and built the thing myself. The only thing I changed was the 4 link itself. Different brand, shorter bars, more adjustability, better fit. Once again not hard just time consuming. And a whole lot of measuring. A whole lot! Did I say it was alot of measuring?
    Last edited by ToLows10; 03-24-2011 at 02:49 PM.

So this is how I started it. Stock ride Height 500+ horsepower pump gas smallblock that I built last winter. If any one wants more info on the engine I'll post a build sheet with part numbers and prices. Now on to the body drop!

Gutted the interior. Removing the dash was lots of fun!

Removed all paint from areas that where going to be worked

Sectioned the firewall 4"

Cut the floor and let her drop. Also I removed the entire rear floor in preparation for the rear frame work. I don't know if I could have done the bd with the rear floor still in place. Someone with more experience will have to comment about that.

I welded some angle to the bottom of the frame that way the pinch weld would sit level with the frame

I left the engine in while doing the body drop that way I new there wouldn't be any fitment issues down the line

It's tight in there!
    Last edited by ToLows10; 03-25-2011 at 05:51 AM.

Then I started putting it together one piece at a time

Now the steering column. What a pain! Steering column had to be raised about 2". The column actually touches the brake booster now! You'll see in the following photos how tight the clearances are. Look how close the header pipe is to the steering column. I've since lowered the motor mounts 1". Should get me some more clearance

Had to shorten the brake pedal a little. I cut about a 1" pie shape section out of the pedal shaft. Pie shaped to tilt the pedal up and closer to the driver about 2.5" to 3". I pretty much rebuilt the gas pedal and pedal mount.

Last edited by ToLows10; 03-25-2011 at 07:06 AM.

Pulled the engine time for firewall and frame work

Z'd the front frame horns

Rear frame mock up

And my toy hauler

Hope I can help someone In their decision to do a body drop. THIS IS NOT A HOW TO! Its just the way I did mine. I only want to show people what is exactly involved. This is my 1st body drop and when I was researching exactly what to do I would have paid for information like this. I'm posting all of this just to give people ideas with their own build. And also to show the guy who thinks him and his buddy can do it in a weekend that it ain't gonna happen. And I might not be a sheet metal mechanic but I can use a hammer, grinder, and a welder! Lol. Like I said, THIS IS NOT A HOW TO. Just my own way. And remember, this was my first bd.
    Last edited by ToLows10; 03-25-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Thumbs up

looks great good job on the BD. I would pay for that kinda of work. wow thats alot of rust but nothing a few patch panels wont fix. :(a ford pulling a chevy! at least its a HD edition
    Last edited by dragnblazer; 03-25-2011 at 01:29 AM.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

Thanks. Glad you like it. I'll like it more when I'm driving it this summer. Body work and paint are next year. I think lmc truck sells those patch panels, I was gonna fix those rust holes but I already have enough on my plate for now. You don't wanna know how many times I hit or bumped the side of my truck trying to get the main hoop of that cage in. Good thing It didn't just come out of the paint booth lol.

TRucks lookin good I like all the pics keep them coming.
    Nasty Lowz

Nice work. What rear are you using? I was wondering why you didn't go with a 9" if you have that much HP and are going to all the trouble doing the back half.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Good question. I'm using an 8.5" 10 bolt out of an 02. 4.30 gears, full spool, ARP fasteners, and after market c-clip eliminator axels. First reason. When the stock 7.5 took crap on me during the first burn out I didn't have plans to backhalf the truck so I started looking around for s bolt in replacement. Found the 8.5" on eBay for $800 with shipping. Second reason. The 8.5" is plenty strong enough for my application. Once you hit the 700+ hp mark you better be talkin 9", but the 8.5" is no pushover. Even stock the 8.5" held up to my motor.

Just an update if you wanna see more click on the link below. Im posting complete progress in another forum. She's almost done!

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f3/my-...f-pics-466111/
    " When this baby hits 88 miles per hour..."