Thread: "Chainstore" Autobody Shops

none

Question "Chainstore" Autobody Shops

What is your opinion of chainstore bodyshops like Maaco, Econo, Earl Shreib? I am debating whether or not to take my Blazer to have it painted at one of these places..No I don't want the $99 or even the $299 paintjob. They have different levels all the way up to a $699.00 basecoat/clearcoat price.The benefit of one of these places is that you can save money by doing the body/prep work and taking off the trim yourself. They also use an oven baking method on all thier paint prices. I am just curious if anyone has had in luck or disappointments personally with these services, not the stereotype you hear. Thanks

If you are looking for a really nice quality paintjob, something that will impress and have good color matching and the such, dont go to a chainstore.. I think Blazinlow will attest to that.. He had one from Maaco and then got a good one from somewhere else, and his truck has an absolutely gorgeous paintjob now...
    LT1/4L60E/Shaved handles, emblems, antenna/5-4 Drop/16" Xtreme Wheels.

In 1095, Pope Urban II commanded the beginning of the most heinous period ever documented: The Crusades. While killing over 100,000 Turks in 1098, the Christians "did no other harm to the women found in [the enemy's] tents - save that they ran their lances through their bellies," according to Christian chronicler Fulcher of Chartres.

Originally posted by S/T Lover
    If you are looking for a really nice quality paintjob, something that will impress and have good color matching and the such, dont go to a chainstore.. I think Blazinlow will attest to that.. He had one from Maaco and then got a good one from somewhere else, and his truck has an absolutely gorgeous paintjob now...
    ill second that...altho there are SOME well... a few macos that do good paint work IF you do all the preping yourself and pay a little more... but its not worth it taking that chance..
    WWW.HAGGARDFAB.COM

//NC\\
    Negative Camber

Pimpin Once Again blazer88FastNLo's Avatar
    earl shibe says it its like he sprays the car as is dirt on it or not and doesnt tape up to good or worry about runs
    R.I.P. Allison Campbell R.I.P. Gone But Not Forgotten 1984-2002

I don't have any experience, but my aunt and uncles' good friend works at a local Maaco Paint Shop and he's doing their paint on their "newest" muscle car. My uncle did all primering, sanding, preping and Brian's been doing the paint for about a month or so. He's great at painting, but like it was said before, you get what you pay for. My uncles paint job isn't coming cheap, but luckily they can trade of services so he's not paying the full amount. If you have a friend who paints and is good then get them, if not then find a custom shop, or if your tight for cash, get a Maaco paint job. Save a few bucks and then start saving up for the next few years until you have enuf. Expect over $1500 for a real good paint job. If you want one of the magazine paint jobs then expect upto 10,000. My uncle's is around the mid-way mark, since it's a total resto of the car, it's gotta be real good.

What kinda condition is your truck in now? Do you want a long term paint job or what? It just depends on your $$$ and what you want.

Nate

Like slow 89 said. If you do a much of the prep work as possible a Macco job can look decent. As good as a new car. But not show quality. If you do decide to go Macco, take everything off that won't be painted. Grill, lights, wipers, door handles, mirrors. Do alot of the taping your self. Talk with them before hand decide on what sanding you can do. When all preped, get the truck towed to the shop.

Later
    Steve

i still think it's not worth it to do a chain store paint job if you want it to last. the chain stores do like a 2 year guarantee and most custom shops warranty their jobs for as long as you own your truck. there is an article in in the latest truckin that is exactly about this.
    Originally posted by Catching Second
    I'm making it a new rule that I am going to suck the dick

I'm just glad I have a good relationship with a bad ass body shop near me......

They painted this ranger, hand pinstriped the flames between the colors, the bed matches the trucks flames, along with the door jambs, custom third brake light, made billet inserts for the front bumper, shaved the door handles, shaved the tailights, molded the roll pan in, suicided the tailgate, and frenched the antenna, put a 48" led in the tailgate, he had a custom hood on it last year, didn't like it........and all for under 8000$

They told me for a pearl white paint job(with blue and teal pearl), shave all the door handles, shave the roof rack, and make the brackets for the toyota 4wd front bumper and mount it(without cutting the fenders!)somewhere in the neighborhood of
    3000$....I don't think thats a bad price at all.....
    Last edited by tboz65; 09-20-2002 at 11:00 PM.
    America, Love it, or get the hell out!

thats a nice ranger right there man..............
    92 Blazer, 4 door, 4x4
    with

Lexani 16's
    2 MTX 6000 12's
    Profile CL800 amp
    http://www.angelfire.com/ill/blazer/

more to come

1 love, 1 god
    www.mp3.com/akshun