Thread: slammed on coilovers.. whats needed?

currently under truck lowloudnproud1's Avatar

Question slammed on coilovers.. whats needed?

Looking into the coil over setup for my 2001 blazer the rears already been figured out and the 4 link and rear coil over set up have been ordered. Now for the front..im looking to slam this thing but still want to have the option to lift it back up n such if the drop is too dramatic i still want room to be able to adjust safely im currently looking at the spohn lca's with the QA1 coil over set up but witch coil over kit do i want exactly? and what spring should be ran on the fronts for a safe and functional ride?im looking at trying to drop it 6 to 7 inch's in the front..is this achievable without buying drop spindles? any advice or info is greatly appreciated thanks guys

oh n p.s there's photos in another thread of a red extreme with vette brakes and black wheels with a full coil over set up in the front I Love the stance that thing has same to harley and zz4
    -01 Blazer 2wd 2dr 5speed, 96 impala ss rear brakes, jimmy front end, envoy leather seats, rear seat delete, 11in heavy-duty w/t clutch, custom exhaust, coil overs with 4 link soon to come along with an envoy sun/moon roof-

This is probably the best compact information on coil over setups here:

http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72726

or

http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69341

You can get about 3" with stock LCA and another 2" or so if you use the Air Ride Technologies Strong Arms for their shockwave bags. Although I raised mine back up an inch or so to get better suspension geometry from the LCA. I'm planning on getting another inch or so out of a tall spindle conversion in the future, but with conventional drop spindles 6" is realistic. If you're heading in the direction of handling check out http://www.protourings10.com for a wealth of information. I don't know how other LCAs affect ride height.

QA1 isn't the only option, but a good one. A lot of guys like varishock (sp), but they're more expensive from what I've seen. PTS10 has more info on the different options. I had to get my coilovers rebuilt after about 20k on MI roads and a few winters. Cracked one of the cases and beat up the seals, so beware that they aren't the most daily friendly, but if you send them out for a rebuild once a year (~10k miles) you shouldn't have a problem. Since my case was cracked it cost me about $300 for the rebuild on both, but that is still half the initial cost.

I'm running 250-350 ft/lb progressive rate springs that are made for an A body, so they are a bit long (11"). Others have liked the feel of 450, 550, and even 600. At one point I knew more about which length to get, but it has been awhile since I did that research and I didn't record it anywhere obvious. The higher rate springs are normally shorter, but there is a wide selection of spring rates and lengths out there. I would suggest something around 9", but don't know how that will work out for sure. I do like the progressive rate springs.

Here is a link to my springs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HAL-11-250-350F/

I ordered my coilovers through http://www.autofabracecars.com They are decently knowledgable about what works with what. I called them up and did all the ordering on the phone. It was nice to talk directly with a person too.
    Last edited by Harley; 01-06-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: More thoughts
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

currently under truck lowloudnproud1's Avatar
    yes exactly what im looking for thanks harley from the 3 different forums i go between you n zz4 seem to know the most about this kinda stuff and thats what i want good info from people that have used this stuff and know what will work and what wont. i ran the same question on the s10forum and am already getting the thats not possible replys thanks for the advice and info keep me posted on anything you find out about the front setups for these trucks i live in rochester and know exactly what you mean about the roads and winter abuse on these things tho at the end of this year im headed south so no worrys hopefully
    -01 Blazer 2wd 2dr 5speed, 96 impala ss rear brakes, jimmy front end, envoy leather seats, rear seat delete, 11in heavy-duty w/t clutch, custom exhaust, coil overs with 4 link soon to come along with an envoy sun/moon roof-