Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V8 swap manual trans

I was one of the first in the country to have a dougnash 5 speed ( now richmond) in my nova.

It eventually ended up in the limo truck using a Quartermaster hydraulic throwout bearing

Quote Originally Posted by phatfarmer2 View Post
    So will a first gen or 2nd gen clutch master work with those trans?
    in a first gen i suggest using a 92-93 master cylinder that is used in the 2.8/4.3L trucks

I had a Muncie 4-speed in mine. The only problem I had was the slave cylinder was in the way of the exhaust on the Headman shorties. I had to notch the exhaust pipe about 3" down from the collector. If I ever get my Muncie back into the new blazer, I will go with a hydraulic through out bearing and not have to worry about the clearance issues.

LT1 Guru
    LT1 T56.

Bolt on.

Get the '92 2.8L master cylinder.

Most difficult part will be getting a custom line made for it.

Summit sells AN-style adapters, but when I ordered them they were out of stock. So I had one custom-made and cost me a pretty penny.

I agree that the NV4500 is WAY too big for our trucks. And it's a TRUCK tranny. Like a BIG truck tranny. You'll hate it. Not to mention it's about 14" in height. You'll be hacking out firewalls & floorboards.

NV3500 will be too weak for 300+ horsepower if you plan on doing any "sprited" driving with it - i.e. any track time, autocross, burnouts, etc.

There's also the TKO trannies too as Mark said above.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    I too just picked up a clutch setup for the blazer. The built th350 is nice but horrible on gas and interstate trips at 4k rpm suck. I dont think my motor could destroy a GOOD nv3500, but finding one that is in decent shape is the hard part. My engine is rated at like 260 hp and 350 ft/lbs of tourqe. But ive been seriously looking into the TKO trans. Also atleast for me the t56s wont allow me to keep my bench which is a deal breaker. Good thing about the TKOs is you can use any old style chevy bellhousing. But the tko trans sure arent cheap

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I too just picked up a clutch setup for the blazer. The built th350 is nice but horrible on gas and interstate trips at 4k rpm suck. I dont think my motor could destroy a GOOD nv3500, but finding one that is in decent shape is the hard part. My engine is rated at like 260 hp and 350 ft/lbs of tourqe. But ive been seriously looking into the TKO trans. Also atleast for me the t56s wont allow me to keep my bench which is a deal breaker. Good thing about the TKOs is you can use any old style chevy bellhousing. But the tko trans sure arent cheap
    you can keep your bench seat with a t56 if you do a shifter relocation.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=300892

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    hmm i was totally unaware that the t56 could do that. Good shit, now only to find one lol