Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: our front fender idea

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar

our front fender idea

ok my gf has an 89 s10 blazer and shes got a cold air intake on it but her air intake is still under the hood and taking in hot air from the engine bay and she has wider wheels that stick outside her wheel wells well she loves those ugly ass rims and wants to get them covered by the fenders and we have came up with an idea but need to figure out how to make it work....
    our idea is to widen out the fenders by 2 or 3 inches and run her intake ducts out next to the headlights by building boxes inside the fender to house the air filters but we don't know to widen the fenders successfully I know how to weld and have shaved doors before but I fear that if I just cut the fenders at the hood line and along the bottom and weld in sheet metal that they will be verry unstable and the first time somone leaned on the fender it would buckle in and fold the metal I had just welded in

would anyone have any advice that would make our little project easier? and I think I'm going to use junkyard fenders first to make sure it will look ok so I don't destroy her fenders and have the truck look stupid and not have normal fenders to put back on it

ty in advance
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)

doesn't sound like it would look right at all with the rest of the body lines, inline air filter with a bulkhead on the raditor core or an under the bumper spoiler might be easier

that still leaves her problem of the tires not being covered and the cops here will hound you for anything I even had to run trailer fenders on my old s10 because they gave me problems because I didn't have the bed on it
    (mayhem)

How wide of a tire does it have? Can't you just use some fender flares? When it comes to the intake, I would run it to the airdam with some duct work, cheap and affective.

I'm not sure of the size of her tires but I know the tires stick out of the fenders 3" (mexican style) and she has already had her corner lights shaved with some urithane cut from a saturns door and we were going to restyle the ducts to make them look better and possibly shave her body lines too and shes got her tail lights shaved with hearts cut out in her roll pan for her lights... well she made a comment about welding in some bed sides from a pickup and run her exhaust threw the tail light openings in the bed sides after restyling then to mimic the front scoops and the bed sides would be "bent" in twards the body so they meet the original body by the door this part seems to be the easiest part and sounds like it could look pretty cool

and shes not cool with the fender flairs idea I even grabbed a set of bushwhackers outa the garage and taped em on to show her and she got pissed and said it looks like somone lowered a 4x4 and said it looked redneck and said and I quote "if them sum bitches ever touch my truck again I will burn them!"
    Last edited by theKILLSHOT!; 01-14-2011 at 11:28 PM.
    (mayhem)

what will you do with the widened fender to regular width cab / door transistion? Is it going to have a big pregnant bulge?

Now to be totally custom ------ Split the truck and widen it 6" - right down the middle of the cab and bed!

or get the right offset rims since that is ultimately the real issue.

I won't split her truck and widen it cause it'll cost a butt load to get new windows cut and I think we would just leave the back of the fender open so it looks more like a drift car it would also help the heat excape from the engine bay and shes adiment on keepin her ugly rims with their horrible offset.... its her truck I just work on it and try to keep her happy....
    (mayhem)

ok ether my gf is a genious or she knows one lol she just called me with a solution to the front fender problem and its simple and effective! she said to take the extra hood she has with the air cleaner hole in it and cut the sides off and a portion of the supports inside it and use them to extend the tops of the fenders (yes we know that an extra 4" or so will need to be added to the back cause the hood is shorter than the fenders) and the supports being added to the tops of the fenders will add the strength I want
    (mayhem)

I think you two were made for each other.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

houston-streets.com vortec owner's Avatar
    im all kinds of confused

Quote Originally Posted by smsmith36 View Post
    I think you two were made for each other.
    X2

I think the fish "gill" look from the rear is going to get attention to the point of making it a viral internet WTF picture.

Time to hold a fender up next to the truck to give her this stunning visual.

well its ether leave it open at the back or extend the front of the door out and move the hinges out also so the door will be able to open normally... she don't like suicide doors or I'd just add the bubble on the front like the ssr or maybe the 06 dakotas and just leave it
    (mayhem)

I think it will look bad and will be a lot of work for something that could be fixed with the right offset wheels. If you can do it and make it look good I'll be the first to give you praise.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Even if you accomplished the front you'd still have to deal with the back. You'll end up with a wide body blazer.

the back is the easiest part
    (mayhem)