Thread: headers question

CAT! The other white meat Xtreme187's Avatar

headers question

Ok I foundd a cat back exhaust system for my truck ( 01 Xtreme Blazer) now I was looking at headers and they come for with air injection and without air injection. Me being new to the 4.3 engine and S-10s for that matter, how do I tell if I have air injection or not? So I know which headers to order? And exactly what is air injection? Sorry for the complete noob question.

Air injection is a air pump driven by your belt. It pumps air into the exhaust when the engine is cold, and only for a few seconds. It's an emissions thing. It helps lower cold start emissions. And really can't tell you if you have it or not because I'd have to be looking at your engine

Quote Originally Posted by DBLAZE View Post
    Air injection is a air pump driven by your belt. It pumps air into the exhaust when the engine is cold, and only for a few seconds. It's an emissions thing. It helps lower cold start emissions. And really can't tell you if you have it or not because I'd have to be looking at your engine
    On late modle s-series the air pump is electric.

Back to the OP

the air pump should have two line coming off of it going to the front of each manifold.

Banned
    even the 4.3's got an electric pump?

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

yeah, i just said belt driven because most of the ones i have seen on other cars were like that... never seen one in a s10 yet...it was a 50/50 shot..