Thread: Lowering 4x4 Jimmy with 2wd leafs??

Lowering 4x4 Jimmy with 2wd leafs??

Hey,

Has anyone ever looked at using stock 2wd leafsprings to lower a 4wd in the back? I don't know if the lengths of the springs are the same to even bolt up but if they do I could see a couple of inches there. All I want is a 3/3 drop but Belltech leafs are pricey and if I don't have to use blocks I'd rather not, and I'd rather keep a spring pack complete.

All I've ever read has been how the front of the 4wd frame is different from the 2wd, but never about the rear.

Does anyone have an eye-to-diff mount-to-eye measurement for a 2wd leaf? And the width of the leaf/bushing?

Thanks

Well I guess I sort of answered my own question. I've got the ZM6 Heavy Duty package on my Jimmy so if I 'downgrade' to the lighter rate springs they should bring the rear down. Or I guess I could remove leaf and get the same result, looks like they just add leaves for more weight

http://www.generalspringkc.com/index...arent=111&pg=1
    Also info on 2nd gen springs, and other vehicles if you look in the categories
    Last edited by NArtissimus; 02-05-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: more info

go to www.car-parts.com and get some leafs from an exteme Blazer. I paid $130 shipped for mine.
    2000 Olds Bravada, was low/ now stock
    2000 2dr Jimmy Lowered 6.0L/92 top end LS engine http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...-jimmy-464706/

If it is a first gen blazer/jimmy then s10 leafs will work, speedway has a set of 3" or 4" drop leafs for $209. I have attached the link below. I have not used them bu was very impressed with there upper control arms and will be purchasing these leafs for my blazer in the near future..........

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1982-2...ngs,27130.html

I'd like to use the ZQ8 springs but I don't know how much they'll actually drop the truck and I'm afraid it'll be more than the 3" that the keys will give the front. They are a 2" lowering spring on a 2wd afterall, all I want is 3" from my offroad 4x4 height. I had an extreme with a 2" drop before and I really liked the rate on them thou. I just don't want to pay $130+shipping to Canada to chance it since Belltechs are only $190 on top of the block kit.

The only thing I like about the idea of blocks or actual lowering springs is that I know how much they'll drop the truck but I don't really want to pay the money.

I can pick up couple of sets of springpacks for $40-50, try them out, and build my own pack if I need to. I've decided that I don't want to modify the ZM6 packs since they are somewhat rare.

I'll let you all know if/how it works out.

Hmmm looked at the carparts site. That's actually pretty cool. Definitely bookmark material as long as they update the database regularly.