Thread: diesel conversion!!!

houston-streets.com vortec owner's Avatar

diesel conversion!!!

i was wondering if any of you guys or girls have ever kicked around the idea of converting a blazer into a diesel powered machine i've been thinking about it for a while what is your opinions on it?

Banned
    go for it.

diesels are EXPENSIVE engines to purchace unless you get lucky and find the right deal.

4bt diesel 4 cylinder would be nice. THe inline 6 cummins fits in the fullsizes nicely but may be a stretch for an s-series. the v8 6.2 and 6.5 gm engines wouldnt really be worth swapping in in my opinion... just all depends on what your budget is.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Know-it-all-noob
    I think it could be a sweet conversion! The first thing to figure out of course would be the engine and trans combo. If you wanted to stick with a chevy trans the two obvious choices I see would be the old 350 diesel which would be less than inspireing. Or they made a 3.9L Cummins that is the exact design of the sweet 5.9L Cummins in the Dodge pick-ups but in a four cylinder configuration. These engines came in the old Gruman bread trucks backed by a TH350. This would be the obvious choice because you could use a GM trans (4L60,4L80,NV3500,NV4500,T56) and even though I don't know the exact measurements, the packaging would probably not be too bad. Also an engine that size should give you a nice balence of fuel efficiency and torque. I imagine parts would not be too hard to find either.

Keith

Know-it-all-noob
    I guess 4bt is the name of those cummins, I'm thinking 4bt backed by a T56!

Diesel conversion would rock. I'm currently doing a swap on my Suzuki samurai rock crawler using VW 1.6TD.

Banned
    had a forklift in a long time ago with the 4bt, the engine itself was perfect size but the acsessories were HUGE on this thing. That may have just been the trim since it was in a hd piece of machinery. I think it was quite tall also. i imagine there are differnt oilpan and pickup combos for that engine.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

its the 4bt cummins that i wanna go with trans unknown yet may need ya'lls expertise since this is gonna be my first major project i love diesels and i also love blazers and i want to combine the two i think it would come out great i been lookin at some diesel swap forums and it seems like a pretty straight forward swap minus all the misc. plugs and connections and fittings

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    I guess 4bt is the name of those cummins, I'm thinking 4bt backed by a T56!
    your better off with a TR6060. a slightly modded 4bt would be pushing the torque limit of the t56.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    had a forklift in a long time ago with the 4bt, the engine itself was perfect size but the acsessories were HUGE on this thing. That may have just been the trim since it was in a hd piece of machinery. I think it was quite tall also. i imagine there are differnt oilpan and pickup combos for that engine.
    All inline engines are tall, its just the nature of the design.

Banned
    umm to an extent, i realize the pistons are going stright vertical vs at an angle on a v style engine but this thing was TALL.

Know-it-all-noob
    Yea, I got excited and was thinking of my T56 laying around. What is a TR6060?

Quote Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
    Yea, I got excited and was thinking of my T56 laying around. What is a TR6060?
    its the next generation of a t56 basically.

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar
    the tr6060 is the camaro 6speed its the non aftermarket t56 its just built for a production vehicle and production vehicle horsepower and torque
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)

i'm still lookin for a good quality 4bt cummins its pretty hard to find a good one in ok to good condition right now i've been sidetracked from a wreck i had a while back went to sleep while driving and slammed into a concrete drain in a ditch bent the frame up two inches and broke of a frame horn and bent the sway bar bought a new bumper and rebuilt the front end a friend a of mine gave me a free 2 door blazer