Thread: 2.8 with new Dizzy, runs like crap

2.8 with new Dizzy, runs like crap

So I have a 1986 Blazer, 2.8l. the other day my tach stopped working and it started to run like crap. Then the tach starts working and it runs good. So I come home and checked the dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Replaced them all. Had the ignition module checked, and it was good. So I checked the pick-up. Checked bad so I was going to replace it. After I got the dist out and was trying to get the shaft out, I noticed that the pick-up was loose. Looked and the clip that holds it is just laying in there, and the ridge on the shaft that holds the clip is broken off. So, I got a new dizzy. set the timing at 10* BDC. But, as it runs and warms up, the timing starts to jump all over, the tach does not work, and the idle is real rough. When driving it misses, and just general has no power, runs like crap.

Any ideas?

Coils?

Sucks, but go through and check everything again, including the module.

back when I had a 2.8. I did the same thing and it ranlike poo. Replaced everything and still nothing. I bumped up the timing a few degrees and it ran fine, until I blew the motor a year later :)... So bump up the timing and see if it helps. Who knows?

Yeah, messed with the timing and got it to run better. Ended up setting the timing at like 18*.

Banned
    Your balancer may very well have slipped and you dont have the right timing. Thats happened to me on a 2.8 before.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

So, it was running fine once I got the timing set again. Now today it starts running like crap again.

Was thinking about the balancer slipping, but that would not make the tach not work.

I am leaning towards the dist. is not sending out signal on the tach wire to the computer, which is also the reason that my tach (which is aftermarket) is not working. Any ideas what to check besides wiring? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have my tach wired to the tan wire that comes out of the dist. which I thought was the tach wire. It is part of a 4 wire connector that runs to the main harness to the computer.

EnglishThe Tribe DVD novelist Elizabeth Jane Howard once said: "Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. What do you call, whoever you are, you need it" bestselling author and founder Squidoo.com Seth Godin agrees. He explains whyScrubs DVD you should act as your dream of a lifetime. He focuses on leadership - how to gather believers to build their tribes, and achieve the highest - and discusses how to use social media to start their own movement tribeYour Baby Can Read DVD. Godin does a great job to identify the negative mental and spiritual ways people use the excuse for inaction. He explains how to become a market leader in the tribe - and the rest of the world - needs. Become a leader, a charismatic, positive, and that The Office DVDthe activities of the choices you make, Godin says, do not you give yourself. Although it belongs to one of his usual, but heartening, exaggeration and repetition, getAbstract finds Godin points are well taken and encouraging.He offers real life examples of Prison Break DVDpeople who responded to the apparently crazy ideas, the fruits of their joys and passions, and made them a success. You can do the same thing: Shine a Light, to build a family and make a difference.

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar
    spammer
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)

still need some help with this. The tach has completely stopped working now, and it still runs good the first start of the day. if I shut it off and restart it runs horrible. Now, if I remove the IGN/GAUGE fuse, hit the gas, it will run fine. VSS? I have disconnected the knock sensor, did nothing, disconnected the ESC and still no change? Retested all the components for the distributor and all checked good. Checked all the wiring that I could, and checked good also. Would a problem with the guages or in the dash be causing this?