Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering shaft rag joint, again

Steering shaft rag joint, again

The steering shaft on the right is from my 89 project truck (aka "taking forever"). This is after I replaced the rag joint for my dd 86. Notice how big the 89 joint is compared to the 86 one on the left. Anybody else run into this? doesn't affect anything, so I'm not worried about it.

And of course the boot for the tulip joint at the top was ripped, so I took it all apart, cleaned it, and regreased it. The boot is........from a toilet plunger. Don't ask...lol.

Anyway, the 89 joint wasn't the regular rubber/cloth, it was some kind of weird hard amber rubber.

I didn't have the funds to do the flaming river joints and borgenson shaft, so the ten bucks for this was cheap and will work for a few years while I mess with the project truck.

That's the beauty of the cherokee shafts, cheap, bolt in, and eliminate that sloppy garbage.
    85 Blazer 4x4, 350, 3" BL, 33's, project
    89 Jimmy 4x4, needs 350 swap...
    89 Blazer 4x4, 4.3 gf's DD
    90 Jimmy 4x4, 4.3 my DD

The one I took out worked for 270,000 miles. That says something. It really wasn't even that loose, just annoyed me.

I'll do the Cherokee swap next time I wander down to the "recycling" yard.

Yeah I did the cherokee shaft on mine, def worth doing, You do it once and your are good to go.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

What year Cherokee

Never Low Enough
    i second that question, my grandpa has an 89 i could probably steal it off if that's the right gen?

For First gens only

You want one out of the older unibody box style cherokees. One out of a wrangler will also work but has to be cut down a bit. I used one out of a yj and with a 3 inch BL had to cut 6 inches out of it.

For the 2nd gens

you have to do some odd stuff cause the steering shaft is different. Something about using the bottom half of a grand cherokee on the factory upper shaft. I would research more cause this is only coming from memory and since I don't own a 2nd gen I didn't care to remember it too well.
    stock-87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 3.4, auto, 4x4

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

On 2nd gens you can make the stock cherokee shaft fit, but have to cut the output from the column down (the part coming out of the firewall) and then clearance for the bolt to tighten it down. Grafting the cherokee lower joint onto the stock upper steering shaft would be the best compromise and would require no cutting of the column nor would it add an extra joint in line.

I'm pretty sure flnole grafted the cherokee and stock shaft together. I didn't, but if I were to do it again I would cut and weld the two shafts together, but at that point the cost to effort starts leaning toward the flaming rivers joint too.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Never Low Enough

steering shaft shall be stolen!

Steal me the front axle while you at it
    stock-87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 3.4, auto, 4x4

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

Thanks I need to pic one up this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I'm pretty sure flnole grafted the cherokee and stock shaft together. I didn't, but if I were to do it again I would cut and weld the two shafts together, but at that point the cost to effort starts leaning toward the flaming rivers joint too.
    Yes this is what I did. I was extremely easy and only cost me whatever the shaft cost from pick n pull which wasn't much at all.

You can see in this pic how I did it. The piece on the left if what's left of the stock 2nd gen shaft, the middle is the finished shaft that went back in after I grafted the top part of the stock shaft to the bottom part of the jeep shaft. The piece on the right is what's left over from the jeep shaft. What I did was cut the stock blazer shaft and cut the jeep shaft then slid the stock blazer shaft over the top of the jeep shaft and welded them together. Now it installs exactly the same way as the stock blazer shaft.

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    I've never heard of this mod before now. What exactly does it alleviate? I'm currently on day 2 of a 2" body lift (rusty ass truck.....) and the kit says people sometimes have to modify the shaft. If my steering shaft needs modified, I may go this route to extend it.

My question: Why do lowered and stock height trucks want this mod???

It eliminates the cloth rag joint that tends to go out a lot and cause excessive play in the steering wheel. By replacing the rag joing with a swivel joint that's all metal and will last longer. Doesn't really do much for extending the shaft length however the way I did mine you could easily add in an extra inch or so if it were necessary.

Hey Guys, On the Jeep/Blazer steering shaft, if you weld the inner and outers together you; 1-create a weak spot at the weld. 2-eliminate the slip/collapse capability (safety) in case of an accident. Both Borgeson and Flaming River recommend no welding, but if you need to make a more ridged joint/shaft, to drill and use hardened set screws or bolts. Food for thought.