Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering shaft rag joint, again

The Blazer shaft has a slip joint between the shaft and the steering column, so that isn't a problem if cut and welded in the right place. The Jeep shaft also has a slip joint in the middle of the shaft if not cutting and welding it to the Blazer shaft.

As far as creating a weak point at the weld I don't have the knowledge to say either way.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Somehow I don't think it's really a high stress area, that's not the part of the steering system that does the real work. The power steering pump is what actually provides the oomph to turn the front tires. As far as the safety thing, if I get into an accident that can break the steering column loose from the dash then I'm probably in for major injuries anyway, regardless to the slip joint. I think the slip joint is there to get the shaft in and out easier, and allow for body movement, not so much a safety thing.

The slip is there for safety. It has been required by the government for some time now. keeps the steering wheel/shaft from being impaled through your chest when the front end crumples, which the front end is designed to do. It absorbs the energy rather than your body. If done right this mod will not affect the slip joint at all.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    I was under the impression the steering column itself collapses. Ive seen blown apart pics of gm columns and the inside of them will collapse. Its the only reason i can think of why your always told not to hit on the steering column b/c it will mess up the collapsable parts. I could be way way off on that

and just an fyi, my jeep shaft has play in it after a few months, ill try to get a pic of what im talking about. Its in the upper half, the large "collar" part that im assuming is for killing some vibrations

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    Thanks, flnole. When I saw the availability of so much excess metal, my train of thought simply said 'make a longer shaft'. This is good info to know if my steering does get sloppy; right now, that's one of the few niceties of my truck.

And to Ron C., great call out on the safety problem and acknowledging the warnings of two reputable manufacturers. Great first post and welcome to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by flnole78 View Post
    It eliminates the cloth rag joint that tends to go out a lot and cause excessive play in the steering wheel. By replacing the rag joing with a swivel joint that's all metal and will last longer. Doesn't really do much for extending the shaft length however the way I did mine you could easily add in an extra inch or so if it were necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Christensen View Post
    Hey Guys, On the Jeep/Blazer steering shaft, if you weld the inner and outers together you; 1-create a weak spot at the weld. 2-eliminate the slip/collapse capability (safety) in case of an accident. Both Borgeson and Flaming River recommend no welding, but if you need to make a more ridged joint/shaft, to drill and use hardened set screws or bolts. Food for thought.
    When you do this mod you do not weld the inner and outer together. As for the weld creating a weak point, highly doubtful. A weld, if done properly is stronger than the existing metal. If the shaft was going to break anywhere it wouldn't be at the weld unless the weld itself is done poorly. I have been running this modded shaft on my steering for 2 years now and have had no issues whatsoever.

I edited this pic to show exactly how it retains the collapsability.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b