Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: leading vs. welding in metal

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar

leading vs. welding in metal

my brother in law wants me to fix his fenders wich are dinted pretty bad and i have been thinking about shaving the body lines on the gfs blazers hood i know how to lead and weld both but have never done custom work with lead my question is would it be worth it to use lead instead of cutting out the problem areas and weld in new metal?
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)

You are aware this isn't the 50s and there is a new product out. Most people call it bondo but thats only a brand name of the cheap crap.

Dents you use a body hammer and/or dolly to get them as flat as you can then use body filler to finish it.

Weld up what you can on the body line and use body filler to smooth it.
    stock-87 blazer tahoe 2 door, 3.4, auto, 4x4

inside- All LEDs, overhead console, white faced gauges, smoothed panels, Camo cloth, radio and speakers, keyless entry

outside- 1/2 lift, 3 inch bl, clears, H4 conv headlights, Euro red tails, all LEDs

motor- 2.8 fiero valve covers, headers, flowmaster 40, 10 in chrome edelbrock cleaner with K&N, silicone vacuum hoses

Gotta Love Stepshavers Sonomaguy's Avatar
    Buy new jobber fenders, up here they were only $50.00 each. They can't be that much more there. Yes, labor is free if you do it. How much of your time do you wish to waste. You could just sand and paint the new ones and your done. Your choice, my .02
    2003 Sonoma Ext Cab, ZQ8 suspension package. Billet antenna. TYC taillights. LoRider tonneau. Sylvania Silverstars. K & N FIPK.

Do you really know how to lead or just make it melt? Leading takes special tools and prep work. It's mainly used to fill and smooth seams, using as thin of a coat as possible like you do with body filler. You don't want to use a thick amount to fill the body line. Not only will it probably fall out, it will be very expensive.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

yes i do know how to lead i have the kit from eastwood and probly 20lbs of body solder and i have leaded small dents on my trucks before... and yes im aware that this is not the 50s but lead is one thing that is just awesome when done rite and im not thinking about just dropping the sticks in the body lines and heating them till they melt because as soon as i got it done and picked it up to move it id have a body line shaped stick of lead i am also aware that a respirator(sp?) is almost manditory when messing with lead because it is extremely poisonous
    (mayhem)

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theKILLSHOT! View Post
    yes i do know how to lead i have the kit from eastwood and probly 20lbs of body solder and i have leaded small dents on my trucks before... and yes im aware that this is not the 50s but lead is one thing that is just awesome when done rite and im not thinking about just dropping the sticks in the body lines and heating them till they melt because as soon as i got it done and picked it up to move it id have a body line shaped stick of lead i am also aware that a respirator(sp?) is almost manditory when messing with lead because it is extremely poisonous
    im more then sure if you did lead the bodyline on the fenders doors, quarters, and tailgate you will warp the hell out of them... the hood looks like the only panel where it will work.. but even so thats a ton of lead!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

i dont think id warp everything if i took it slow
    (mayhem)

Quote Originally Posted by theKILLSHOT! View Post
    i dont think id warp everything if i took it slow
    i disagree completly.... even when doing tac welds you can easily warp a panel...
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    there is an s10 around the forums with leaded body lines, and it looks pretty damn good. I know hes on s-seriesforum but i cant think of his s/n. Its an orange-ish first gen on 18s

his name is Staticlow92.

I have seen the truck in person and it looks damn good but from what greg has told me it was a TON of work and the guy had been doing lead work for a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by phatfarmer2 View Post
    i disagree completly.... even when doing tac welds you can easily warp a panel...
    I agree with Martin, but it's your car, do what you feel you can do.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    his name is Staticlow92.

I have seen the truck in person and it looks damn good but from what greg has told me it was a TON of work and the guy had been doing lead work for a LONG time.
    yep, thats him, and i too have seen him say in a few threads about it that it was a ridiculous amount of work, just putting it out there that it has been done

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    yep, thats him, and i too have seen him say in a few threads about it that it was a ridiculous amount of work, just putting it out there that it has been done
    his tailgate has a lot of lead in it as well. No joke that thing is like 100 pounds.

i think im gonna go jack some fenders off my friends parts trucks and see if it works out and if it does i have fenders i can slap on my truck and their nice and if it dont... im out some lead...
    (mayhem)

pictures of progress when you start
    Grounded 4 Life

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love