Thread: How do I remove my AC?

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar

How do I remove my AC?

I want to remove as much AC stuff as possible. (I did a search and got 0-500results based on my keywords). I have a 95 with the vortec 4.3. I rarely use my AC and I would love to have a more open engine bay. I can't even remember if it works; it may but may need a conversion/recharge.....

1. I know I'll need an A/C bypass pulley and a new serpentine belt. I'm trying to find it in LMC but they don't list 95 (?). Anybody know?

2. I can figure out most of it, but where is the environmentally dangerous stuff located? What do I need to do with it?

3. Can I just pull the AC condensor out of the core support and cap the lines for right now? Will that effect anything else if I leave the AC off until I bypass?

I want to keep a fan/blower motor on the firewall and I'm pretty sure I can keep what I have.....I don't need to alter anything else, do I?

Any and all help appreciated!! :)

LMC - http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cst/full.aspx?Page=126
    Last edited by mattmobile; 03-18-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added LMC address

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar
    you can pull the whole system as a sealed system and its easier... all you have to do is unbolt and pull your radiator forward unbolt your ac condensor pump and pull the air box apart and pull the part in thare out too

and yes you can just leave the pump in but it may start to whine after some time because the refrigerant is also a lubricant for the pump but you will need a non ac air box
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)

I did a write up on a local forum. Should answer some of your questions.

http://oaktowntrucks.com/oaktownbb/v...t=9310&start=0
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Wierd, I registered but it won't let me do anything on the site. Any chance you could copy/paste it here? Or email me at tealtank95@gmail.com.

I'm changing out my core support this week and do not want to put the AC stuff back in.

***Site says inactive user name. Never sent me a confirmation email. After registering last night, it displayed the forum-style layout but would not let me access anything until confirmed....
    Last edited by mattmobile; 03-19-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: registration info

Quote Originally Posted by mattmobile View Post
    Wierd, I registered but it won't let me do anything on the site. Any chance you could copy/paste it here? Or email me at tealtank95@gmail.com.

I'm changing out my core support this week and do not want to put the AC stuff back in.

***Site says inactive user name. Never sent me a confirmation email. After registering last night, it displayed the forum-style layout but would not let me access anything until confirmed....
    Here you go. Never thought about the access being restricted there. Always logged in when I viewed it haha

Quote Originally Posted by Harley
    As you may or may not know the A/C system has several component: compressor, condenser, accumulator, hoses and a dryer. All of the components except for the accumulator are easily bolted off and the compressor needs to be replaced with an idler pulley.

As a note it is legally required to capture the freon removed from the system in a prescribed manner that I don't know of. If you don't either take it to a shop...

Blower Box
    The accumulator is part of the blower box assembly on trucks with A/C. Trucks without have a smaller box that may be hard to find at a junk yard. While that is the cheapest way to get one I have also listed the dealer part numbers below if one cannot be found. They can also be purchased at gmpartsdirect.com for possibly less than the dealer prices I listed. Aftermarket blower motors are also available at part stores. You will need all four to correctly install the box. The same bolts from the original blower box can be used to install this one. There is one bolt behind the motor that will be hard to get to. Jacking up the back of the transmission to rotate the motor forward and or using a ratcheting wrench will help get it out. Removing the passenger fender helps too.

Case: 52474409 - $66.46
    Gasket: 52457440 - $12.37
    Motor: 52498879 - $71.04
    Vent Tube: 03035192 - $9.82

With compressor and blower box still installed on my truck.

Compressor gone and new blower box installed.

Idler Pulley
    There are several options available here based on ease and cost. The easiest and cheapest is to get a A/C delete bracket. It is a bracket that bolts in place of the compressor and has a pulley the same size as the compressors. It should use the original belt if purchased for the year of the truck, but you will have to find 3 much shorter bolts to attach it with. There is the slight possibility the belt will be the wrong size. Usual cost is about $30-40. I got one through summit and also got one through Advance Auto at about the same price.

The next option is to use a stock style idler pulley that mounts on the front of the compressor and power steering accessory bracket. This is the best option for those with hood clearance problems. It can be had from the dealer or gmpartsdriect.com using p/n 12580772 (~$50 from dealer). This part number should come with the required hardware. They can also be purchased from rockauto.com or a local parts store for about $15 if you're willing to use an aftermarket pulley. It is listed as a grooved idler pulley. You will have to get the mounting hardware from the junkyard or another source as well . The OEM smooth idler pulley uses the same mounting hardware, so this can be easily found. Although if you are already at the junkyard the grooved idler pulley is also used on the tensioner for these motors. Remove this and nab the mounting hardware from the idler on the same motor for the cheapest way to get the smaller pulley. With any of the stock style pulleys I suggest picking up a belt for a non A/C pickup from the local parts store. Belts from the dealer are $50+

The last option for the idler pulley is to just bypass the compressor. I don't suggest this since any loss in tension could have your belt catching on itself moving in the other direction, but all you need to do is run a string across the belt drive and measure it to find your belt length.

I suggest going with the OEM ribbed pulley. Personally if I were to do it again I would go to the junkyard and get one off the tensioner. Even the 140k pulley off of my original motor spins easier than the aftermarket pulley I ended up getting.

Thanks! Nice write-up. Seems fairly simple. I ordered the AC delete pulley from LMC today....took a gamble cuz it is listed for 96-98, not 95.

Where will the freon leak? Compressor or accumulator?

It will leak anywhere you open the system up; it is a pressurized gas.

BANG! BANG! VROOOOM! theKILLSHOT!'s Avatar
    like i said its compleetly possible to remove this all in a sealed system and not have to worry about getting the refrigerant on you and causing problems
    True memories are not set in stone
    Their sculpted from steel and covered with blo0d
    (mayhem)

I know that some will leak whenever i open the line, but is there a resevior or something somewhere that holds the bulk of it? I'll keep a drain pan under it but will most likely be unable to pull it as a sealed unit due to time and part constraints. This is a side project that started during a more major, pertinent project.

I'm looking to remove the condensor and canister for now. I'm leaving the compressor on until I verify I am getting the correct delete pulley qmd then have to get the right serpentine belt. Idk if I'm going to go after the accumulator if you (may) need to take off a fender to get to it. I'm not looking for wheel clearance, just weight savings and less belt/pulley contact area.