Thread: Questions about street legal swaps in california for my gen 1 s10 blazer

Smile Questions about street legal swaps in california for my gen 1 s10 blazer

I am trying to make a street legal 1984 s10 blazer with a LQ4 in california. However someone said because my original engine size was a 2.8 v6 the dmv would never let me put in a 6.0L v8. It seems to me since they had a v8 in later years I have a chance that dropping a bigger v8 that has better emissions might not be that big a deal since it is a newer model engine. Any other opinions? Maybe someone that has done an engine swap like this in california with some firsthand experience aww man anything would help if ya please.

Since you have a Cali car and smog laws is such a serious deal, look into a later model engine with all the smog equipment. Check municipalities on what can and won't pass, but just guessing and 50 odd years of Hot Rod doing all the projects in California....there must be a way around them. Or at least abide to them.

Unless you know something I don't, when did GM put a V8 in a s series vehicle? Are you thinking of the Colorado maybe?
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe

ahh man im an idiot i was smokin too much last night haha i meant the 4.3 v6 its alot closer than 2.8 haha. where can i find these municipalities?

ohh and by the way your truck looks pussy likin good what kind of light bezels are those and where did you get that bumper?

That book from JTR has a bunch of info on California smog laws. I live in Maryland and we have pretty strict emmisions laws. Nothing like California but bad enough. My 85 Blazer was old enough that I could get Street Rod tags which exempts me from emissions and inspections but i'm only sussposed to drive the truck on weekends, holidays, to and from events, to and from repairs, and when deemed necessary. Maybe California offers a similar program for you California car enthusiast.

Thanks, the bumper is off a first gen Bravada. Check with the people who do smog inspections and see what they look for. Thats a start in the right direction, good luck.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe

:huh:Hey Blazin, Been there, done that and have the tee shirt. (and the State of California emissions sticker in the door jam.) Seriously, California requires the same level of smog/emissions equipment to be on the vehicle for what ever is the newest (the engine or chassis) In my case my '88 Blazer has a 1995 LT-1 in it. So the Blazer must have all the '95 equipment (visual inspection) and fall within all the emissions output limits for the '95 (running on the dyno.) This all must be done at a "Referee Station" in your county. If it passes, the referee will attach a sticker w/bar code, on your door jam. Then your semi-annual testing can be at any "smog test" location. If you put an "older" engine in your ride, then the referee will inspect for all equipment and limits for your chassis. Get it? Not too hard, but it sure limits what you can do as far as engine mods. Anything non-stock on your engine will require you to bring a copy of the CARB documents with you to the referee.

so in CA your better off swapping in a 5.3 ls motor and having all the motor emissions on, that way you will have good power even though it will be limited
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

:boink:Yup, The LSX engines are the power answer. Not the cheapest however. But if I were doing a swap today, the LS would be where I would go.