Thread: Starting troubles

Starting troubles

I have an '03 s10 4 cyl 5 spd. All of a sudden My truck wont start. It has Never died while running or hesitated while starting before. Battery and alternator is new. When I put the key in everything comes on like normal.
    When i try to turn it over nothing happens. The starter relay clicks like its getting power. I just checked the clutch switch and the contacts were a bit dirty so I cleaned them, still nothing. I tried bypassing it and still nothing. I have a new one on the way just in case.
    I tried popping the clutch and the truck starts fine. I drove it around and the shift light does not go off when I push the clutch in, this is what led me to believe it was the clutch switch.
    Until I get the new switch is there anything else I should look for? Also does connecting the purple and purple with white stripe wires successfully bypass it? Thanks in advance!

Ok just checked the clutch switch. Swapped it for a new one and it still didnt work.

Banned
    well its not the clutch switch or else you wouldnt be getting power to the starter solonoid.

Get a volt meter.

On the LARGE terminal on your starter (not the ground side with the ground strap) make sure you have 12VOLTS. (it will be hot at all times)

On the other wire, well, you should have 12 volts on there when your crank it if your hearing the starter solonoid. (that IS what your hearing, isnt it?)

if you have 12 volts on the large gauge wire, and 12 on the small wire (from ignition) then your starter is bad.

Try tapping on the starter with a hammer and see if that makes it go. if it does you still need to get another starter because that one is junk.

also make sure you have a good battery, when you try to crank the truck, make sure the battery voltage still stays up at 12.4 or wherever its at.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

sorry not the starter solenoid, the starter relay was clicking on.

Ive got the starter mostly off now, its dangling, any tricks to taking the wires off of it? I cant reach them at all.

Banned
    well i hope its the starter.

either wrench or use 1/4 inch drive socket and wratchet with whatever extension you need to get acess. sometimes they are a C*Cksucker.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Ive got it hanging, just cant get to the wires at all. I even took the wheel well off.

Banned
    O.O

its been too long since ive done one of those or id give you some pointers.

I had the samething happen to me, it turned out to be the positive battery cable (the large cable from the positive side of the battery to the starter solenoid)

it would show 12v when I checked it. Then I had someone try to start the blazer and when they turned the key I only got 7v. the positive cable was bad, bought a new wire switched it out and the blazer fired right off.

as for disconnecting the wires from the starter I always removed them from the fender well or from under the hood. I couldn't get them from under the vehicle.
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

The starter just tested good, so ill check that wire now.

The cable from the battery to the starter tests fine, good continuity. What else could it be?

Banned
    see post number three and follow it. Then post what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by burnboy View Post
    The cable from the battery to the starter tests fine, good continuity. What else could it be?
    mine had good continuity until you tried to crank it and it dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    see post number three and follow it. Then post what you find.
    well he tested the starter and the positive cable, but how was the starter tested?

so that leaves the battery left in post #3
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me