Thread: Question about fixing rust

Question about fixing rust

I have an 87 Blazer, its actually BL2 Mikes old blazer, and its got a lot of rust. The worst of it is on the lower quarter panels and above the lift glass. The driver and passenger floor boards are rotting out but that's ok cause ill fix that when I do my BD. The worst of the rust is in front and behind the wheel well, its so bad that the inner metal is rusted through too. So my question is how do I fix the inner sheet metal, do I just make my own inner patch panels? It's bad, the pinch in the back is completely rotted away. It wouldn't be so bad if the inner metal was good but its going to be a pain to repair all that. Also where's the best place to get patch panels from? And what can I do to slow down the rust until my new miller 211 comes in and I get the patch panels? I hate rust!!! I'm about to just look for another body that's in better shape. I need to get this thing running, I miss my old blazer with hydraulics which I built when I was 14. Now I'm 22 and have an 08 RAM so now at least I don't have to drive my project daily.
    GettinLaid

I don't know how to upload pictures, if anyone can help me that would be awesome.
    GettinLaid

It sounds like you would be better off finding another body. Get a Photobucket account and upload your pics there. Then copy the IMG code and paste it in you post here.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Yea I've been looking for other blazer bodys for cheap that are in good shape but I'm kinda broke now anyways since I'm laid off. I'm waiting to get called back, I'm a union welder, so until then I have to live off unemployment. I took some pictures on my phone but they aren't very clear so ill take some on my camera and figure out how to post them up. I think its repairable but its gonna take a lot of work and it might be easier and less time consuming if I can find a rust free body for like 500. It's a hard decision because I had to move back in with my parents and there letting me keep my blazer and ram there but I doubt they would let me get another blazer unless I switched the body over a weekend if I get a couple people to help me. Anybody know what's just the cab of a 2 door blazer that's gutted weigh? I'm thinking I'd need at least 6 people to lift the cab off.
    GettinLaid

I wouldn't lift it by hand. Unbolt the body and jack it up above the frame and slide 2x4's under the floor and sit them on cement blocks. the just roll the frame out from under it. Check out Phatfarmers thread where he swapped body's.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Yea that's a much better idea, I was just chipping at the rust today and I've decided to just try and find another body. Id rather start my project with something more solid. At least I have a 2wd frame already so I will have a lot more blazers to pick from because I can get a 4x4.
    GettinLaid

This is really bugging me, I'm gonna start to take the paint off this weekend and see how bad the rust really is.
    Last edited by Blazed87; 04-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.
    GettinLaid