Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2000 blazer.. too much oil pressure.. help!

i havent seen this much stupid in one place since lycan left.

Banned
    If I could like ToLows10's post I would. Thats the first impressive post ive seen out of someone on here other than some of the regulars in years.

thats actually a perfect examble the bathroom, think of the fan as the pcv system like you said, and the water lines as the oil circuit, the water sprays out and ends up in the same place as the air in the bathroom (pcv) but the lines have pressureized water in them, and the fan has absolutely no effect on it.
    Last edited by Superbee; 04-09-2011 at 10:31 AM.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    If I could like ToLows10's post I would. Thats the first impressive post ive seen out of someone on here other than some of the regulars in years.

thats actually a perfect examble the bathroom, think of the fan as the pcv system like you said, and the water lines as the oil circuit, the water sprays out and ends up in the same place as the air in the bathroom (pcv) but the lines have pressureized water in them, and the fan has absolutely no effect on it.
    dude you are so totally wrong.

if you dont turn the fan on you will blow a pipe.

kinda like if you leave the windows rolled up in summer solder joints will melt.

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post

kinda like if you leave the windows rolled up in summer solder joints will melt.
    I hate summer when that melted solder drips down on my bare feet.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Superbee View Post
    yeah the crankcase system is the free air in your engine, the OILING SYSTEM is pressureized, it LEADS to the same place, but.....ok thats all i got cant explain any better than that, brain is fried.
    YOu haven't explained anything. I know damn well what the PCV system is. The air is in the same 'chamber' as the oil. When there's too much air pressure it's going to affect the oil also. Bad PCV valves can and have caused oil leaks on other gaskets like ToLow said. You haven't told me why it couldn't cause the oil filter gasket to blow. You've just called me stupid, which is stupid in it's own right. Personally I didn't know for sure, that's why my first post was a question, not a comment. I figured it'd at least give him a fairly cheap option to check in his search for a solution. It's not like it would hurt anything.

Banned
    I didnt call you stupid (that i can remember) im trying to tell you how 40 pounds of oil pressure cant be effected by what little pressure is in the crankcase. Most vehicals have a breather on the other valve cover anyways..

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Quote Originally Posted by AIR SIC View Post
    YOu haven't explained anything. I know damn well what the PCV system is. The air is in the same 'chamber' as the oil. When there's too much air pressure it's going to affect the oil also. Bad PCV valves can and have caused oil leaks on other gaskets like ToLow said. You haven't told me why it couldn't cause the oil filter gasket to blow. You've just called me stupid, which is stupid in it's own right. Personally I didn't know for sure, that's why my first post was a question, not a comment. I figured it'd at least give him a fairly cheap option to check in his search for a solution. It's not like it would hurt anything.
    its already been explained once.

Yes oil is in the crank case. Yes a PCV valve evacuates air from the crank case. Yes excessive crank case pressure can cause oil leaks, and blow out seals.

BUT THE OIL FILTER SEAL IS PART OF THE PRESSURIZED OIL SYSTEM AND NOT PART OF THE CRANK CASE!

you would blow a front and rear main seal before you blow and oil filter seal.

Do I really need to chime in again. I mean, seriosly. The bathroom analogy wasnt enough? I think I've been as polite and professional as I can possible be but, your starting to make it hard. I don't think me or anybody else needs to call anybody any names. YOUR DOING IT ALL BY YOURSELF!

Obviously you havnt the slightest idea of what your talking about. You have proved that you know how a PCV system works and what it does. But you have no idea how it works in relation to the rest of the engine. Have you ever built a motor before. I think myself and most of the other people here will all share the same answer of NO! Because if you had any good professional know how you wouldn't be posting STUPID (there i said it) info in this tread. If you ever assembled a bottom end, from a bare block to a running engine we wouldn't be side tracking this persons thread arguing with you about PCV systems. I know you ment well but I absolutely can't stand it when someone thinks there helping and all there doing is making it harder for the next guy. Especially when everyone else tells that person their wrong and they still just don't get it. I'm not trying bash you or start anything but you really need to study some engine assembly books.
    Last edited by ToLows10; 04-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    " When this baby hits 88 miles per hour..."

Banned
    ahhh its almost like the good ole days of blazin low.

The Louder, The Better Nvr2Loud's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToLows10 View Post
    When a PCV valve fails it can cause pressure to build in the crankcase causing oilpan gasket failure, blown valve cover gaskets, and even blown intake manifold gaskets! So you are right in that aspect but, the PCV valve/system has absolutely nothing to do with the oiling system or oil presure. It is just a ventilation system. Just like turning the fan on in the bathroom when you take a shower.

Most oil filters have a burst pressure of at least 150 to 200 psi so if that type of presure is being sent to the filter. It's hard to say what's causing it. Like I said before, I don't think it's the filter bypass because that's only there so if the filter clogs the engine still gets oil.(not filtered oil but pressurized oil to keep it from burning up). I don't think you have a plugged oil galley because the filter gasket is failing. I say that because it takes alot of pressure to cause a filter gasket or filter to fail. So this leads me to believe that it's the pressure relief spring in the pump it self. I'm not sure of the excat pressure setting but someone else said 60 psi which should be about right. This pressure relief spring is calibrated to let a bypass valve in the pump open when the pressure reaches say 60 psi. An oil pump is very well capable if exceeding that by say a nother 100 psi. This bypass lets the over presurized oil go back into the oil pan and not into the oiling system. Now bear with me. If that valve is seized then all the oil flow and pressure is going directly to it's next stop. The filter. See what I'm getting at. DONT go out and buy a high burst pressure filter cause if your engine has press in oil galley plugs those will be the next thing to go which would suck. Replace the oil pump. The spring and valve are internal so buying a new pump would be the way to go. Stock pumps are like 20 bucks. Proly gonna need a oil pan gasket and a tube of RTV also. Plus new oil and filter your looking at $100.

And just a thought. I don't know it all but I know more then most when it comes to this stuff. I also know when I can help somebody or when not to help at all because I havn't a clue. We're all here to help and get help but if you don't know what your talking about, dont try cause all your gonna do is send some poor bastard on a wild ride trying to figure out what's wrong with their truck. I'm not saying that buying a new oil pump is a "guaranteed" fix but it's the best place to start. Why? Cause it makes sence. PCV system. Really? That's right up there with the too much oil. Maybe you miss read the problem? Good thought. But if you read the question correctly then you need to learn the limitations of your knowledge.
    This is exactly what i was thinking, just havent had much time to repost. After multiple visits with multiple shops, everyone is saying the same thing. Just bought a pump, gasket, vasoline (to prime the pump with) 4 qts high mileage 10/30 and 1 qt hyper-lube, a fram filter, RTV, latex gloves and rags.

Now, my next question is HOW THE F*** DO YOU GET THE OIL PAN OFF LOL!!!

dude, how much crack was the engineer smokin when they designed the bottom of this thing??? that $H!T is in there WAAAAAAAAY to tight.. do i gotta pull the tranny?
    2000 Blazer Xtreme Conversion:bowdown:
    2 Memphis Mojo 12's on 2000w RMS:bowdown:
    SHAVED EVERYTHING:bowdown:

If its "too loud" or "too low", I don't know you.

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post

ROFL:evil:

and to chime in here a little (sorry i gotta) but if the PCV valce failed.. the motor woulda been shitting all over itself.. and im pretty positive i did not state that.

i laughed when i saw the PCV valve comment, and had to see if i was retarded enough to even have of read that post.. lets see.. POSITIVE, CRANKCASE, VALVE...

Per WIKIPEDIA: A crankcase ventilation system is a way for gases to escape in a controlled manner from the crankcase of an internal combustion engine. A common type of such system is a positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system, the heart of which is a PCV valve—a variable-restriction valve that can react to changing pressure values and intermittently allow the passage of the gases to their intended destination (which nowadays is the engine's intake stream).

man.. i got a good chuckle.. anyone else?

good thing i didnt put in post 10 that your pump is fucked lol. pressure valve not opening=more then 60 psi=new pump. done

o and i dont see why people who dont know what they are talking about post in these types of threads :nono:.....i sware forums do more harm them good lol

Quote Originally Posted by Turner View Post
    good thing i didnt put in post 10 that your pump is fucked lol. pressure valve not opening=more then 60 psi=new pump. done
    ;) ya, i pretty much figured it had to be that but, i wasnt sure if there was something else.

now, how do you get the dam oil pan off??