Thread: Vintage steering column

Vintage steering column

I'm in the middle of doing a dash swap. I picked up a dash from a 1964 Dodge Dart of all things at a swap meet this past weekend. It's a close fit. I want to use an older steering column. Does anyone have any suggestions on one. How much trouble is it going to be? I've changed out columns before, but always from alike cars.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    buying an aftermarket one would be IMO the best bet. Or try to find an s10 column from a manual.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    1st gen columns, mimic classic columns very well.. in three classic dash swaps i have done the columns look correct.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

i been wanting to do a dash swap.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

I had seen people use the older columns so I figured it could be done fairly easy. Using an aftermarket one crossed my mind, but I like the thought of reusing an older one. Gives more character. I'm going to be looking for an older center console also. The one in there I built for another truck I had probably 7 or 8 years ago. It was my first attempt, it's not bad, but there again I like the thought of using the older parts.

Well I've been working on the dash in my spare time, still have alot to do, but it's in and I've been driving it around some. I'm using the original column for now until I find what I want.

Wow that turned out nice. I really like that look. How much trimming did you have to do? And what are you going to do about your gauges?
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

I only had to cut about an inch or so off either side and trimmed it so it would match the angle of the door panels. I still have to make my new sides and top for the dash and weld them up. As for the gauges, I have a wiring diagram for the Dart gauges and I plan on using them. I was told everything on the dash worked by the guy that originally owned the dash. I hope to start on the wiring this week so wish me luck.

dash is looking good.

i would probably go with one of these for a column http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Flamin...umn,39826.html

but for the price, I would stay with stock and find an old wheel at a swap meet
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

I got a steering wheel from a '64 lmpala from the local swap meet real cheap, but it's bigger than I want to use. The dash isn't very tall so it makes the wheel look huge. I really like the aftermarket columns, but the price tag is making me lean more towards a classic column.

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    How much are you looking to spend on a classic column?

I've got some 53 Chevy cars that I could snag a column out of. Shipping may be a pain but let me know a number and I'll see if we can work It out.

Pm me if interested. Most are 3 on the tree but I may have an automatic.

Your dash looks great!! I'm thinking about putting one of my 53 dashes in a full size 85 but that dart one has way better lines!