Thread: MSD Soft Touch Rev Limter

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar

MSD Soft Touch Rev Limter

Saturday was the first mud bog of the year and also the first time that I have been out with my new setup. The RPM's hit 5,500 at one point which is about as high as I'm comfortable with going. This occured after the truck began to bog down in 2nd gear while in 4 wheel low and I down shifted into 1st. I'm thinking about for the next mud bog trying one run in first gear the whole way. To do that, I'm going to need some rev protection.

For reference, the engine is a 350 4 bolt block. The bottom end and heads are 100% factory (1975 K20). It has an Edelbrock Torker intake manifold, Summit camshaft with 224/234 duration @ .050'' w/ .465''/.488'' of lift, an Edelbrock 600cfm carburetor and the factory HEI style distributor. The power ban should be somewhere around 2,500-6,000 RPM. I'm looking to rev the truck certainly no higher than 6,000 RPM.

I would like to keep the HEI ignition system, so that's what has me looking into the MSD Soft Touch. The installation seems extremely basic. I'm curious though if this system works the same on the HEI style as it does on a system with an ignition box. It's advertised to cut out every other cylinder so that on the next turn of the engine it will be fired. Is this how it will work with the HEI setup as well? Is this type of rev limiter going to be "easy" on the internals of the factory engine?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Yes. Yes. And yes. The MSD soft touch is what the 6AL boxes use. I would just go with an ignition box. Pick up a couple of ponies and the rev limited is built in. Unless of course budget constraints are an issue then the soft touch rev limited would be fine for your HEI.
    " When this baby hits 88 miles per hour..."

You nailed it on budget constraints. It's a shame. I have a MSD Pro Billet. I'd just need the box and coil. That'd be an extra $100 more than just the rev limiter alone.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Here's another thing I'm considering... the MSD HEAT module. It's a replacement module for the HEI that has a built in rev limiter. It's cheaper and seems pretty cut and dry. Setting it is kind of odd though. You short out the tach wire while holding the engine at half the RPM that you'd like to limit it to (hold it at 3,000 to set it to 6,000). I'll have to see some reviews on this because I've never heard of it.

Sounds cool but I havn't heard of that "heat module". If it works as advertised go for it. Simple is always better if the end result us the same.
    " When this baby hits 88 miles per hour..."

Banned
    if you get the msd, check this out:

http://v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.php...265572#p265542

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

That's a pretty cool write-up, Superbee. However, I kind of like the idea of the pills. I know it's a little more expense, but I'd rather not have a dial really. I feel that it'd be something that could easily be moved around and off of where I set it initially. Especially in a big mud truck that rides like a Bobcat. That's a nice idea though, especially for someone with a drag car or something of that sorts.

Banned
    fair enought. But i will say they are pretty stiff and if you dont put a knob on there its not going anywhere.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4