Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found A 307 V8

Hybrid View

Found A 307 V8

Lets Try This Again.......i Can Get A Late 60's 307 V8 For A $150. It Only Has 66,000 Miles On It. It Doesn't Have Headers,alt,starter,carb And Some Other Misc Items. I Recently Found Out My 4.3 Cpi Has A Bad Spider Injection. So I'm Thinkin Of This V8 To Bolt To My Tranny. Has Anyone Used A 307 V8? Where Should I Start With All This. Any Real Help Would B Appreciated
    Drop,Drag,TuKnDuCeS

A 307 is not a good idea. A 305 would be a better option. Even tho the motors are very similar in displacement their completely different motors. The 307 was sussposed to be GM's "fuel efficient" high torque low displacement v8. Rated at a woping 200 hp and 300 ft lbs of torque it wasn't all that impressive. The 307 was manufactured from 1968 to 1973. Some general specs for the 307 are, 3.875 bore and 3.25 stroke. 9 to 1 compression ratio. The 307 was only offered with a 2bbl carb. Just for comparisons sake the 305 makes 250 hp horse power and has a bore and stroke of 3.736 and 3.48. There were HO 305's that made more power but I was only using the 305 as a comparison. I once picked up a 307 for $50 and put it in a 1st gen pick up. It wasn't much faster then the 2.8. Seriously! It was a dog. I even strapped a 142ci blower on top of it and ran 6 lbs of boost and guess what. It still was a dog. If is all you got and it's a complete engine I'd still be reluctant to say go for it. Besides for a couple more bucks you could get a 350 from a junkyard.
    " When this baby hits 88 miles per hour..."

I agree a 350 would be better..
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    307? 305? They make good boat anchors or lawn art. Not much for anything else.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

My Tape Deck Broke
    the 307 was chevys bastered child motor. Due to the war the gas crunch and switching from leaded to unleaded gas chevy had a bunch of parts laying around. so they made the 307 purely to just get rid of the access stock. 307s are best when removed from old vans they some times have 4 bolt mains. The heads were there weak point but a set of double humps will bolt right on. I cant remember which intake you use I believe you can bolt a 350 intake to it. Fuley used to make a nice kit for them in the early 80s. the 307 is good for pulling trees out of the ground lol if you want a motor that will rev kind of high and will take a beating the 307 is a good motor. A lot of people around here use them in mud bog trucks just for play motors. oh yea the van and truck 307s were 200 hoarse power. Heres a small build up http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...nce/index.html
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

Thanks guys! I will have to pass on that engine. I will look for a 350 instead.
    Drop,Drag,TuKnDuCeS

I had one, for about 4 days, and it blew a rod out the side
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Agree with all of the above. The 307 was also low in nickel content, therefore the piston walls wore more than other engines of the era. Only plus was it used a crank the same dimensions of a 327 crank. Pull that and save it, throw the rest away.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Edgar Allan Poe

I learned to drive in my mom's 69 ElCamino with a 307. It wasn't a high performance motor but it ran good and never gave us any problems. I'd still look for a 350.
    Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Yep I'm gonna look for a 350 something not to crazy on horsepower. Just a mild build up. Thanks for all the info again guys. You've been a lot of help
    Drop,Drag,TuKnDuCeS

try your local craigs list.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

The 305 / 307 sbc engines are not boat anchors,they performed quite well within the parameters for which they were designed.That being said it's just easier to get hp from a 350,the only reason to build a 305 or 307 in my opinion is it is free and you don't want more than 300 hp.Of the two contrary to some opinions the 307 has an edge because of it's larger bore which un-shrouds the valves and allows the heads to breathe. Either engine with a set of vortec heads and a mild cam[270] will give you 300 hp and make a peppy street engine.

My Tape Deck Broke
    ive worked on and had them all 307 is pure poo

Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    ive worked on and had them all 307 is pure poo
    Well,I've worked on and built them all and as I stated,they won't compete with a 350 just like the 350 won't compete with a 383 and so on and so on.

My Tape Deck Broke
    I guess thats true as a broad statement but you could argue that a properly built 350 could compete with a 383. or even a stock 350 in a lighter car. to many variables for that argument. But the fact is the 307 was a bastard child motor built due to vietnam and the gas crises so no matter what you put it in its gonna be worthless.