Thread: Another Overheating Problem

My avalanche,totaled 8( POSblazer's Avatar

Another Overheating Problem

My V8 blazer began overheating a few days ago. I removed the thermostat, thinking that might be it. It wasn't. I spent yesterday and part of today changing the water pump. That didn't help. The only other thing I can think of is the oil pump. It can't be a clogged radiator. It had nothing but water in the cooling system. The only thing I can think of is low oil pressure from either bad oil pump or clogged oil filter. I have a oil pump lying around, brand new unused. I dread changing them out. Any other idea what it could be? Any (useful, lol) help is appreciated.

Edit:
    On second thought, I'm going to let it cool, and restart it. The old radiator hoses could be getting sucked shut if the hoses are too weak. I'll wait about an hour to try. It's still hot. I was beginning to think my temperature sensor was going bad, or some other electrical issue. I still dont think it's the oil. I dont hear any loud tapping or dry engine sounds.
    Last edited by POSblazer; 05-25-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Remembered something.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

Banned
    yeah i highly doubt its the oil.

Get you a 180 degree stat. Put that in.

Ditch your 100% water mixture and get 50/50 and put that in.

Report back with what you find. All water, and no thermostat are not right, MAY not be the problem but you cant diagnose it untill you fix those and rule them out.

Then we can investigate further from there if need be.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4

Well, I put coolant in when it began overheating. The thermostat would only help it get hot fast and keep it hot. Obviously, getting it hot is not a problem. I checked the houses. That is not the problem. I took the oil cap off. It's getting plenty of oil. The only other thing I can think of, is a sticking electric choke. I've also had a problem with the engine stalling shortly after starting the engine. I'm thinking it's getting too much gas. That would also make it overheat.
    Last edited by POSblazer; 05-25-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Freaking hard to type with a tiny touch-keyboard.
    Update:My avalanche was totaled by my ex-gf. My business is in ruins. I now plan on finishing the engine repairs to my Saturn, and sell it. Once I get the bills paid off, I'm going to fix my Blazer.
    History:I bought a 2001 saturn sc2, then a 2005 avanche 1500 2wd, then a '87 S10 blazer 2dr 2wd on 07/24/2010, and on 04/01/2011 a '84 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd V8 drag racer(sort of)

Banned
    no it wouldnt. Rich = cooler, lean = hotter.

Where is your sending unit mounted? what sending unit and gauge are you using?

How hot is the upper rad hose. Can you keep your hand on it?

What fans are you using, can you leave your hand in front of the fans for very long?

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

how about telling us more about your setup. Im not a mind reader anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    how about telling us more about your setup. Im not a mind reader anymore...
    nope, but your still an ass

but yes some more info would help
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

I have a 350 with a 1991 corvette intake. It has been set up with select-port-fuel-injection.
    I have a thread on my progress with pics.

http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77504

alright from the pictures it looks that you have pusher fans?????

if you do, make sure they are pushing and not pulling while they are mounted in front of the rad
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Actually, they're puller fans. The thing that gets me is, the coolant doesnt seem to get very hot. But the inner temperature is hot enough that the engine tried to seize up. It got hot enough that the engine quit while I was driving. Afterwards, it didn't want to start again until it cooled off. So, it definitely is overheating. Sorry if there are a bunch of typos and spaces between words. The phone I have comes up with some crazy things for me to correct.

Just doesn't sound like you're getting any coolant flow.
    Water alone cools better than a 50/50 mix, but has no lubrication and will burn up your water pump seals.
    What kind of condition is the radiator in? How about the hoses?
    Again, make sure the fans are going the right direction.

jesus christ this is like pulling teeth. GIVE US MORE INFORMATION.

what radiator/fan setup are you running. what side of the radiator are the fans on, do they push or pull.

how many miles on the engine

is the radiator clean

when does it overheat, when sitting still, low speed, highway speed.

Banned
    i was just going to refuse to post on here again untill he answered my questions....

so you have puller fans

what side of the rad are they on? engine side or grill side?

and your motor was cooling fine before the last few days, what has changed since then?

if nothing then check your fans, make sure they are working.....my fan housing gasket came loose and wrapped around one fan stopping it, causing the motor to over heat
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me