Thread: Can't get keys out of Ignition

Can't get keys out of Ignition

Hey;
    Last week I couldn't get the keys out of the Ignition. After it happened 3 or times I order and installed a new Lock Cylinder with new keys. After replacing it I am stilling have problems with it. I used both keys and I lube it up. Any ideas?

It's a 03 blazer with auto shifter on the floor. Tilt column. Has a locking steering wheel.
    Something else very odd when the blinker is not on I can hear the blinker sounds some times when turning.
    Thanks

Vamos Mantequilla!!! ProfessorKaos's Avatar
    Might not be any help, but the only time mine gets locked into my '02's column is when the battery is dead and i try to start it.

'93 bodied Std. Cab....Classick
    Midwestminis.net <- Go There!

You could try moving the wheel back n forth while pulling on the key.That may work on getting the key out.
    Nasty Lowz

I got the key out I just not sure what else could be broken.

next time the key gets stuck try putting it in neutral, and see if it comes out then, might help to locate the problem?

no I can't take them out in "N". But I don't I ever could. Can someone confirm that they can take the keys out in "neutral" thanks,

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Key or lock tumbler is worn out.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

you have a floor shifter.......there is a switch on the floor shifter that unlocks the key. I believe it is a small white plastic box. Sometimes you can slam the shifter into park and knock the switch when it first starts to give you trouble, but then that will stop working.

and on the 2nd gens if you look on the bottom of the colum cover there is a small round plug almost directly under the ignition, pop that round plug out, there is a button that you can use a screw driver to press and it will release the key (key release for 5sps)
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

I had this same problem with mine, It ended up after i tore the whole thing apart in a parking lot that there is some little button that is supposed to be spring loaded that got worn out and no longer jumps back in. Just bought a new key tumber assembly and it fixed that. hope that helps.
    99 gmc jimmy, bagged on 18/20s, 40X70 rag top, supercharged, fiberglassed system.
    4 door love

I removed the anti theft lock. and I haven;t had any problem yet. It seems to be working fine now. Thanks