Thread: 49cc head

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar

49cc head

I'm looking to further upgrade the performance of my mud truck while keeping my wallet from smoking. I plan on taking it off the road by next season and making it a purpose built mud racer. So, I'm making some plans for the winter.

Right now, the engine is the original 1975 350. It has a little bit of a cam and an old Edelbrock Torker intake manifold and all of the other cheap fancy-havin's. After running the numbers on the heads and finding out that they are 78cc combust chambered turds, I've been putting money back for a head swap. My initial plan was to get a set of Dart Iron Eagle Platinums with 200cc intake runners and 64cc combustion chambers. This would make an amazing difference in power from what heads I have now. These heads would also work great for the eventual high compression bottom end build up.

The thought hit me though. Being that I'm taking the truck off of the highway soon, why not get the same head with 49cc combustion chambers? This would bump my compression up a ways. i'm guessing close to 11:1 with the stock, dished pistons. Then later on I can build the bottom end up using flat top pistons and get 12:1 or more. I'm curious of what some disadvantages might be though. Is 11:1 too much for the stock bottom end? Is there any negativities to running smaller combustion chambers?

Someone school me, please.
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Registered User Catching Second's Avatar
    This is sad.

But, never mind the question. I've scrapped the idea of running the smaller cc head. I may wind up just putting all of my pennies into a big block build. Who knows?
    "A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo

Banned
    fwiw i just now saw this thread lol

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4