Thread: Will a 98 gu6 rear swap to a first gen

My Tape Deck Broke

Will a 98 gu6 rear swap to a first gen

I can get a rear end off of a 98 4x4 blazer he says its a gu6 will the posi and disc brakes bolt into my first generation 2 wheel drive jimmy rare end housing
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    I can get a rear end off of a 98 4x4 blazer he says its a gu6 will the posi and disc brakes bolt into my first generation 2 wheel drive jimmy rare end housing
    4x4 axle is wider then a 2wd, however it will bolt in place
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

My Tape Deck Broke
    The gu6 axle has a crack . Im wantin the posi and disc brakes tho

the mounting points for the wheels are wider so you would need front rear drive style wheels in the back
    the carrier and all of that would work if its the same size rear
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

The gu6 axle has a crack . Im wantin the posi and disc brakes tho
    It depends on your axle. The earlier 1st gen axles have a different backing plate for the brakes and the 2nd gen disc brakes won't swap. Check your axle and the 2nd gen to see if they're the same. Same with the posi/gears. The earlier axle shafts have a lower spline count.

My Tape Deck Broke
    You can swap 2 wheel drive backing plates I dont know if.you can swap 4x4 to 2 wheel drive tho

You can swap 2 wheel drive backing plates I dont know if.you can swap 4x4 to 2 wheel drive tho
    The bolt pattern on the axle flange, and the shape of the flange itself, changed in I believe 86. So the newer disc brakes won't work on earlier 1st gens.

If the flange is the same then yes you can bolt the brakes on, you will also need to get 2wd brake rotors. I did this on a 91 s10 but my 85 had a different flange for the backing plates. You won't want the stock posi if you are rough on the truck at all. It will explode and trash your rear end. It takes some work to get the parking brake cables to hook up to the stock emergency brake pedal but it can be done.

What kind of deal are you getting on the stuff? If your jimmy came with a 4.3 then your rear end should be a 28 splined axle rear end. You need to check to make sure the newer rear end is not an 8.5, the 8.5 and the newer style 7.625 share the same flange so the brakes would still work but the posi would obviously be a no.

My Tape Deck Broke
    Well poop my jimmy is a 94 the rearend is a 98 im trying to get a lt1 out of a 95 cop car what can I do to the current rear end im also bagged so if I have to get a new rear end im just going to wait till I body drop it and redo the back

Quote Originally Posted by AIR SIC View Post
    The bolt pattern on the axle flange, and the shape of the flange itself, changed in I believe 86. So the newer disc brakes won't work on earlier 1st gens.
    91 was the change over year. it depends on the plant and the build date because some 91's are the old flange and some 91's are the new flange.