Thread: 5/4 drop with belltech shocks, WHEEL HOP.

Hybrid View

5/4 drop with belltech shocks, WHEEL HOP.

Hi ya'll would like some input about wheel hop. Heres the scoop. 91 s-10 Blazer, LT1, 20" wheels. 5"drop up front, 4" in rear. 2" drop spindle,3" coils, and belltech shocks. 3" drop leaf springs, 1" blocks and belltech shocks. I have 20"x10" in the rear. How can I stop or control the wheel hop so my tires don't rub on the inner fenders when I drive aggressively?:huh: preciate any help.
    91 s10 blazer, with a 93 LT1, 5/4 drop on 20" Boss 338 rims.

I had 3" drop springs and a 1" block on my truck and it had horrible wheel hop. I then tried a clamp I made on the springs where the end of the leaf is.

Some people say it helps but it didn't help me at all. Then I spent the money for Calvert split monoleaf springs, Cal-Trac bars and Calvert 9 way adjustable shocks. It was expensive but I have 0 wheel hop now. Just tire smoke.

Genius by birth, Slacker by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by smsmith36 View Post
    I had 3" drop springs and a 1" block on my truck and it had horrible wheel hop. I then tried a clamp I made on the springs where the end of the leaf is.

Some people say it helps but it didn't help me at all. Then I spent the money for Calvert split monoleaf springs, Cal-Trac bars and Calvert 9 way adjustable shocks. It was expensive but I have 0 wheel hop now. Just tire smoke.

Thanks for the info. Your truck looks awesome. How much will that setup cost?

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    Are you too low for traditional traction bars? They are only 60 bucks or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmobile View Post
    Are you too low for traditional traction bars? They are only 60 bucks or so.
    Don't know. how low is too low? I would have to measure how low the spring is. 60 bucks isn't bad.

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yawdie1 View Post
    Don't know. how low is too low? I would have to measure how low the spring is. 60 bucks isn't bad.
    http://www.competitionengineering.co...s/chassis2.asp

If you cannot fit a soda can under the leaf pack on the axle, you probably cannot do traditional traction bars; if you have more height, you may be able to. New, they run $175 but you can often find them used for much cheaper. The slide a links on CE page look nice and less obtrusive at around $380/set.

Cheapest way to go about it would be the hellwig traction spring that helps control the spring wave; $76 new.

You could invest in a rear sway bar if you don't have one. That would stiffen up the rear while driving and cornering. Check the bushing condition if you do have one installed. Minimal stuff but it adds up to tightening everything so the truck doesnt wander under its own power.

Quote Originally Posted by yawdie1 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Your truck looks awesome. How much will that setup cost?
    Calvert stuff isn't cheap. Springs, bars and shocks were a little over $1000. You could probably get by with just the Cal-trac bars.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    yep, cal-tracs are about the only way. Drop springs are soft, and allow a lot of movement, which gives you wheel hop.

any pics of those rim with the drop. It might be that you are just too low for that wide of a rim, and they will rub on large bumps also. B/c if the tires are hitting the body upon an aggressive take off, theres a damn good chance they will rub at other times too during normal driving

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    yep, cal-tracs are about the only way. Drop springs are soft, and allow a lot of movement, which gives you wheel hop.

any pics of those rim with the drop. It might be that you are just too low for that wide of a rim, and they will rub on large bumps also. B/c if the tires are hitting the body upon an aggressive take off, theres a damn good chance they will rub at other times too during normal driving
    Thanks for the info. I will try to put a pic on here. The tire isn't hitting the body(outer fender) but it touches the inner tub. I had on 16x8 wheel and tires and it did the same thing./Users/rrduser/Desktop/2011-05-31_17-48-51_248.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post

Thanks for the info. I will try to put a pic on here. The tire isn't hitting the body(outer fender) but it touches the inner tub. I had on 16x8 wheel and tires and it did the same thing.
    can't get the pic loaded.

would like to see in person i like the set up how is the ride on the highway? are you goin to show in schrewsbury tomorrow nite

Quote Originally Posted by lowlife7170 View Post
    would like to see in person i like the set up how is the ride on the highway? are you goin to show in schrewsbury tomorrow nite

I just now saw your post. Yes, I'm leaving now for Shrewsbury. You probably won't see this in time. Ride on the highway is good.

not sure how true it is but I have heard any drop leaf more than 2" is too soft.

I found a rare set of eibach 2" drop leafs and put 2" blocks with them for 4" drop and don't get wheel hop.....or I'm just slaming my axle to the frame and not getting the hop:confused:
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me