Thread: Looking for assistance in matching up subs to amp...

Graphic Artist 4 hire Whataburger's Avatar

Looking for assistance in matching up subs to amp...

Ok so first off I am not gonna half ass this setup: I am converting my alternator to an ad244 145 amp and I am also doing the Big 3 Upgrade, and using a deep cycle red top optima battery. This is my daily driver, and I want to build it to last.

so my question is:

I have a monoblock amp that is stable down to 1 ohm, should I "max it out" and run it at 1 ohm, or should I use a higher ohm load?

the rms ratings for the amp are:

4ohm = 500watts
    2ohm = 1000watts
    1ohm = 1500watts

The sub I am looking at are available in either 4 ohm dvc, or 2 ohm dvc, 400watts rms.

so the options I am considering are:

(1qty) 2ohm dvc @ 4ohm = sub is 400 watts amp is pushing 500 watts
    (2qty) 2ohm dvc @ 2ohm = subs = 800 watts amp is pushing 1,000 watts
    (3qty) 2ohm dvc @ 1.34ohm = subs = 1,200 watts amp is pushing 1250 watts
    (4qty) 2ohm dvc @ 1ohm = subs = 1,600 watts amp is pushing 1,500 watts

So... which way should I go?
    Gerald "WHATABURGER" Martin
    www.whatadesigns.com

well a red top aint a deep cycle for one, two if its new it sucks either way and a deep cycle isnt meant to start the truck, only to slowly charge and discharge and it can be run dead without killing its ability to recharge. The correct Optima for this would be a blue top, made for starting and deep cycling

Id got for the 3 setup personally, or even two depending on the room you have
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Thanks for the advice Forklift! Blue top it is!!! and space is not an issue (4door blazer!)

So, you suggest 3?
    www.whatadesigns.com

My Tape Deck Broke
    1500 isnt anything big. If its a true 1500 you will still have chargeing issues. Also hes right about the batterys there crap Just run a high grade battery up front and a small kametic in the rear
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

What amp exactly do you have? What kinda sound are you looking to achieve (heavy bass, SQ, etc)? Run a min of 1/0 wire for both your big3 and +/- to your amp. I agree with BigP, a second batt would be ideal.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

Running all MB Quart Onyx setup 1500 x 1 mono, and 125 x 4 for mids and highs, with an mx3 bass processor.

Not trying to set records or impress teenagers, just a fun stable setup.
    www.whatadesigns.com

you mean Kinetik. I had two, they actually died once and NEVER returned after only a few months of use! Honestly, the Diehard Platinum ones are some of the best out there, and Odesey?
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

Blazers are pretty easy to get loud if you have the power. Asingle 15" (D2) with 4-4.5 cubes tuned to around 34Hz (Sub up/port back) should get you a really good sound. It'll keep everything under the window line for a cleaner look. Now if you wan to do more (but your gonna need alot more power) you can do a wall with 2 18"s. Keep in mind that your gonna have imp rise pending the box design. So running your amp @ 1ohm doesn't always mean thats what the amp is going to see or put out.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b