Thread: Got a miss

drop it low drive it slow f00dstampband1t's Avatar

Got a miss

My 91 has started to act up again. first off when i start it cold it will idle for about 5 seconds then die. i am having to hold down the gas to keep it running. and around 35-40 mph i can hear/feel a miss. not really sure where the issues are coming from or why. gonna change the fuel filter today to see if that helps any. what do you guys suggest i try?

Pull the codes yet? There have been several times it has saved me with my '91 to check them even if there is no CEL. The last time I didn't I cut out the cat and welded in a new pipe instead of just reseating the MAP connecter. The first repair took me several hours and did nothing. The second 5 minutes and was the complete problem.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

i havent checked the codes yet. but like you said no CEL say that never came to mind! i have replaced ever sensor over the past year except the oil pressure but now its bad. could their be a problem with one of the new sensors?? thanks harley

Maybe it is a loose/broken wire or connector. Like I said on mine the MAP had simply become disconnected because the locking tab had broken off. I jammed it on and it stayed in place until I was able to get to the junkyard several weeks later and swap in a good connector.

If there are codes they will guide you in the right direction. Post it up here and if I get a chance I'll take a look through my service manuals for the related troubleshooting tables. Those are even more valuable than the codes.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

ok so i jumped the aldl, and the only thing it showed was 12, then 4 rapid flasehes. dont think that means anything because i dont recall 40 being a code! i will check all my connections. i know that i have a few broken clips but i hadnt had any issues til it started to get cold outside. also when i first start up isnt the engine supposed to idle a little high? if so i havent noticed that for some time now.

Yes engine will be running a couple hundred RPM higher upon first start. If you having idle problems check for vacuum leaks, IAC and MAF.
    -Practice does not make perfect,
    Perfect practice makes perfect...

My Tape Deck Broke
    egr valve might be getting dirty?
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

i finally got it to throw a code and checked it before the code went away (since for some reason it wont stay stored once it the ces light goes off). showing a bad IAC. replacing today! hopefully everything work fine after that. thanks for the help guys!