Thread: My 2002 Blazer 2dr 5-speed project.

My 2002 Blazer 2dr 5-speed project.

This is my 2002 2dr 2wd LS Blazer project. It is originally a 4.3 "W" 5-speed 2wd 3:42 posi-traction rearend. Soon to be a 389 cu.in. SBC stroker, balanced 10.8:1 compression .572 lift cam, with Alum. heads 215 CC runner, 2.02/1.60 valve, 64cc chambers. Air Gap intake, welded alum. valve covers. 1.6 rockers. Eagle lightweight Crank and stroker rods. Block is completely studded 4 bolt main. Will keep the shorty headers and 5-speed for now.
    Last edited by 5spdBlzr; 01-27-2014 at 05:15 AM.

Well the install is now pretty much complete. I have installed the 389 inch small block. Replaced the A/C box for a standard heater box, which gave me plenty of valve cover clearance on both sides. The valve covers are studded to the head and it is easy to remove either valve cover. With the correct engine position, I was able to use the stock driveshaft with no mods. Installed a 4-point cage for now so I may install the racing seats, then installed the rest of the 8-point kit. Installed a 15 gallon aluminum fuel cell which made plenty of clearance for dual exhaust out the back. replaced the 600 Edelbrock with a 750 DP and the motor is making some serious HP and torque. Was shaking the rear tires hard, but I fabricated a set of slapper bars with the snubbers hitting the farthest forward section of the leaf spring right behind the front spring eyelet. This resolved the wheelhop issue and plants the rear tires hard now. Eliminated pretty much all of the wiring for the stock 4.3 engine and brain box of course. Below is a video hear the 389 inch motor with a Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr cam with 1.6:1 ratio rockers. 10.8:1 compression 2.02/1.60 valves, 64cc chambers and 215cc ports. Eagle lightweight 3.75 inch crank, Eagle lightweight stroker rods, and Probe flat top 2 valve relief full floating pistons all balanced. A studded 4 bolt 350 block .060 over bore. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_Wz...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by 5spdBlzr; 05-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.

Damn man that sounds great! What exhaust setup are you running? Im in the process of building a 383 stroker for mine too. Got most of the parts and some of the machine work finished. Hope it sounds as good as that when its finished.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

2.8 liters of pure power! jasond's Avatar
    That mutha thumpr cam sounds great. Is it pretty streetable?

sounds really good.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

sexy

Quote Originally Posted by jasond View Post
    That mutha thumpr cam sounds great. Is it pretty streetable?
    Yes it is very driveable. The Mutha Thumpr cam is only 490 lift with a 304 duration, but I put 1.6 rockers on my motor to get a little more lift from it. So it makes it sound a little more aggressive than just running 1.5 rockers. Makes some serious power though in this 389 inch motor.

Quote Originally Posted by flnole78 View Post
    Damn man that sounds great! What exhaust setup are you running? Im in the process of building a 383 stroker for mine too. Got most of the parts and some of the machine work finished. Hope it sounds as good as that when its finished.
    I am running 2.5 inch exhaust with 1 5/8 headers and a pair of Flowmaster 40 mufflers.

Quote Originally Posted by dragnblazer View Post
    sounds really good.
    Thanks, I am very happy with the way it turned out. Was 3 years in the making.
    My 2002 S10 Blazer 389 C.I. 5-speed, 8 point BD Racing roll cage, 15 Gal. Aluminum Fuel Cell, Custom Traction bars, JAZ lightweight seats with RHS 5-point 3 inch harnesses (Weekend Toy and Harley Trailer Hauler)

My new daily driver. It's a 1998 Third door extended cab ZQ8 chassis, stepside with posi trac rearend. It had a bad motor, so I got it for 1300 and put my Blazer's old 4.3 motor in it.

Last edited by 5spdBlzr; 05-15-2014 at 10:32 PM.
    My 2002 S10 Blazer 389 C.I. 5-speed, 8 point BD Racing roll cage, 15 Gal. Aluminum Fuel Cell, Custom Traction bars, JAZ lightweight seats with RHS 5-point 3 inch harnesses (Weekend Toy and Harley Trailer Hauler)

This is what it looked like when I bought it in Fairborn ,Ohio.

Well, the factory 4.3 5-speed didn't fair too well behind the 389 stroker. Ate the input shaft bearing pretty quick. Not before Taming a couple Ponies though. :) So, I just had a new 700R4 built for it. Added a Corvette Servo and Servo Rod, all new Hi-Energy clutches, .500 boost valve for the pump, and a 2500 stall non-lock converter, and B&M Shift kit. I also picked up a 8.8 Exploder 4.11 posi rear axle w/disc brakes for it. Should have it back on the road by Spring. Also, finished up my roll cage and currently mounting the JAZ racing seats to the floor and roll cage cross bar and 3" 5 point RHS harnesses and moving the battery to the rear of the Blazer.

For such a small(.490 lift originally, .538 lift w/1.6 rockers) camshaft, this Blazer makes some serious low end and mid range torque, and great HP up to 6500rpm. I would highly recommend the Thumper camshafts to anyone that wants a streetable, but powerful motor, and sounds damn good too.

Here are some pics of the Blazer as I have been finishing up the roll cage, moved the battery to the rear, and getting ready to install a new aluminum overflow tank. trying to clean up the engine compartment and get rid of some nose weight at the same time.

The roll cage

The 700R4 with Deep Pan

Solid tranny mount to go with the solid motor mounts.

The motor all nice and dusty from sitting for a year, time to get some cleaning done.

Getting ready to work on the engine bay

Two of my toys

Nice to see another Kentucky member. Trucks look real good!
    1984 S-10 Sport 406ci V8
    1999 S-10 X-Cab Stepside bagged- for-sale!
    1995 S-10 std cab LS1 project
    1990 2dr blazer - daily bearer