Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 2002 LS 2dr 2wd 5 spd Blazer and my motor to soon be installed

Quote Originally Posted by phatfarmer2 View Post
    so to modify a harness, retune an ecm to have the cats and such removed

run more wiring for an electric fuel pump with relays

i can walk in to any auto parts store and ask for an intake manifold gasket, carb gasket, header gasket and just about any other nut bolt and what not, efi parts are not always in stock, as with most newer car parts (not saying all though)

plugging a scanner into the ecm can bring up codes, but those codes can pin point something 100%, that code could be meaning two different problems, but throwing the same code.

more money needs to be dumped into a motor to run fuel injection vs carb.

to me carb wins! im still not saying efi isnt good or unreliable.. im stating why i prefer a carb, maybe thats the confusion.. my next project is getting an factory ls 5.3
    Fair enough. I'm just offering another perspective for the drawbacks that you see.

I still think a smart shopper can get a reliable EFI, today, on the road for a comparable price to a carb. I'm still on track to get my 5.3 in the Blazer for under $1200. I helped Ryo get one in his truck for around $7-800. The 2nd gen trucks have nearly all the wiring needed to install one of these engines including the electric fuel pump.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

Quote Originally Posted by 5spdBlzr View Post
    Typical answer from the younger generation, they want to something they dont have to work for. Like the tube TV that you have to get off your backside to change the channel or the cordless phone you can have glued to your backside, so you dont have to get off the lazy boy to change the channel. You go ahead and spend all that money on an LS motor and I will still pass you at the drag strip with my Carbed motor. I dont need a computer to tell me whats wrong with my motor, because I built it and I fix it because I have built motors and drag cars for 20 years.
    Any engine swap is no walk in the park. Isn't the "complexity" of fuel injection what turns many people back to carbs? Even you were complaining about how much work it would be to drop the fuel tank and change the fuel pump.

I take extreme offense to being called lazy. The reason I do the work on my cars is because I try to take pride in everything I do. If you had any idea of how much time I've spent researching and working on my "easy way out" you'd be ashamed of yourself. I spend all that time on it because I don't want to spend "all that money" on any engine swap carb or fuel injection. Sure you'll be passing me at the drag strip, but that's because you spent more money on yours than I did. I'll have a fun 300hp street truck I can drive any time or any where that I put together myself within a very small budget.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

In some cases like mine the state wont let you choose carb over injected. Stupid smog laws! V8 swaps in this state have to have 1981 or newer engine. Vortec 350 for me.
    My project thread 89 bagged 2door
    http://www.blazinlow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68023

Wife's daily
    2002 chevy blazer 4 door 2wd ls

My daily
    2000 Gmc jimmy 2 door 5 speed

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    lol, ill see where this goes before chiming in

Quote Originally Posted by 5spdBlzr View Post
    I have built motors and drag cars for 20 years.
    I build one off prototype robots for the purpose of reasearch and development of agricultural gains in seed technology.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 6SpeedBlazer View Post
    I build one off prototype robots for the purpose of reasearch and development of agricultural gains in seed technology.
    are they running an ls motor?? lol
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Quote Originally Posted by phatfarmer2 View Post
    are they running an ls motor?? lol
    no, only the stuff i do on the side for SpaceX has LSx requirements.

it's like apples and oranges......they are both good in their own right.....just depends if you want to do all the hard work before the enjoyment or after.
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Well here it is running and in the Blazer.

Well the install is now pretty much complete. I have installed the 389 inch small block. Replaced the A/C box for a standard heater box, which gave me plenty of valve cover clearance on both sides. The valve covers are studded to the head and it is easy to remove either valve cover. With the correct engine position, I was able to use the stock driveshaft with no mods. Installed a 4-point cage for now so I may install the racing seats, then installed the rest of the 8-point kit. Installed a 15 gallon aluminum fuel cell which made plenty of clearance for dual exhaust out the back. replaced the 600 Edelbrock with a 750 DP and the motor is making some serious HP and torque. Was shaking the rear tires hard, but I fabricated a set of slapper bars with the snubbers hitting the farthest forward section of the leaf spring right behind the front spring eyelet. This resolved the wheelhop issue and plants the rear tires hard now. Eliminated pretty much all of the wiring for the stock 4.3 engine and brain box of course. Below is a video hear the 389 inch motor with a Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr cam with 1.6:1 ratio rockers. 10.8:1 compression 2.02/1.60 valves, 64cc chambers and 200cc ports. Eagle lightweight 3.75 inch crank, Eagle lightweight stroker rods, and Probe flat top 2 valve relief full floating pistons all balanced. A studded 4 bolt 350 block .060 over bore. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_Wz...ature=youtu.be

The new JAZ lightweight seats,roll cage, 5 pt. harnesses, and roll bar padding.

Last edited by 5spdBlzr; 12-15-2014 at 04:16 AM.

Well the motor is in the Blazer now, along with a few other added goodies.

here is link to hear the motor running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t_Wz...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by 5spdBlzr; 12-15-2014 at 04:17 AM.
    My 2002 S10 Blazer 389 C.I. 5-speed, 8 point BD Racing roll cage, 15 Gal. Aluminum Fuel Cell, Custom Traction bars, JAZ lightweight seats with RHS 5-point 3 inch harnesses (Weekend Toy and Harley Trailer Hauler)

Well, for all of you talking about Fuel Injection, Carbs. and elevation issues, had the Blazer with the Harley dresser in the trailer and trailer in tow. Loaded down with camping gear, coolers, food , clothing, etc. And took it through the Smoky Mountains up to elevations of 6500 ft ASL, with a 750DP on it, and it ran like a champ the whole time. Wasn't loading up or choking as previously stated. Took over an 1100 mile trip, no problems at all. Go Old School !!
    My 2002 S10 Blazer 389 C.I. 5-speed, 8 point BD Racing roll cage, 15 Gal. Aluminum Fuel Cell, Custom Traction bars, JAZ lightweight seats with RHS 5-point 3 inch harnesses (Weekend Toy and Harley Trailer Hauler)

Well this indian killer smoked a 2014 Mustang GT with Whipple S/C and drag radials and me on street tires all N/A and had him by 5-6 lengths by the end of 2nd gear with street tires, so blow all the smoke you want. Next on my list is a 5.3 LS Camaro with a 200 shot of juice. Keep your computers and I'll let the cubes do all the talking.

The badge of honor and speed

Another thing about the LS motors, funny to see most do a carb swap on the 5.3 nand 6.0's LS and LSX motors. And without a 200 shot of Nos or a turbo, they only produce about 300hp. My motor is pushing 475hp and near 500lb.ft. of torque all N/A. Old school FTW.