Thread: At a loss please help

CAT! The other white meat Xtreme187's Avatar

At a loss please help

Ok so I am cruising down the highway and bam truck decides to up and die, I get it towed home thinking its the fuel pump again like always, First thing I do is spay some starting fluid into the intake to check and it doesnt fire. just cranks. So then I check if it has spark at the coil. it does so I dunno whats going on. I do a few checks online about crank no start and end up replacing the crank position sensor, the cam position sensor, the cap the rotor and have the ICM checked and its good so did not replace it. After all that I still get a crank no start even on starting fluid and now I am at a loss as to what it could be. So does anyone have any ideas? I dont have alot of fancy equipment to check out electrical items I just replace things....lol SO last thing I have heard from a friend is that it may be the coil ( even though I was getting spark) he says it may not be enough and then he aso thinks it may be the ECM......I dunno anymore I am stumped. Its a 2001 Blazer Xtreme automatic with a W code engine ans 177k mile on her. Please help as this is my DD and its been a week of taking off work and bumming rides.

even though you sprayed some starting fluid in the intake, check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the full rail. These motors need 50-60psi of fuel to run. Not sure if starting fluid would work. 177k on a stock pump is a lot if it is the stock pump, if your pressure is good and doesn't bleed down super fast your injectors could be gone. I just had to replace my pump at 140k then the injectors went at 150k.
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

This isnt the original fuel pump. It was changed about 6 months ago. But the last time the pump went out (6 months ago) it would fire on starting fluid. Thats why why this has me baffled as to what else it may be.

Timing chain skip a tooth?

Not sure. Anyway to check witout tearing it down?

if it wont start on starting fluid its a no spark condition most of the time.

you need to see if you have spark at the plugs before you go any further.

OK got it running great.....been a week and now I was cruising down the hway and bam no power....it will sit and idle for hours no problem but as soon as its in gear and I try to give it the gas its like something is choking it off....I can hear the CAI sucking in air like crazy but it just makes this wah wah wah sound as I try to accelerate.....that makes twice in 2 weeks my trucks been on a roll back....Im thinking cat but I dunno... trucks got 178k on her. I already did the cam and crank sensors, cap, rotor, coil, icm, and she fired right up and has ran like a dream. Now this....ugh.....PLEASE anyone got any ideas?

Unbolt the exhaust before the cat and then hit the gas and see if it still does it. If it doesn't then the cat is bad. And this would be my guess.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

not a 93 anymore 93 TireShredder's Avatar
    Make sure your cold air intake tubes are all sealed. I've had mine get disconnected and the MAF goes crazy and the motor wants to choke out and die. that is my best guess based on the fact you replaced everything else

I would say cat, but if I remember correctly the blazer cats have to be cut off. You can't unblot them to test if they are clogged. Mine sounded like a rattling heat shield at idle and when I hit the cat it would stop. Cats going out are also know to throw passanger bank rich code due to poor flow of the exhaust
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Yeah you are right, they don't unbolt at the cat but he can attempt to unbolt them at the exhaust manifolds.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

true....a little open header action would work
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

cut the cat out and she is alive....now I finally have the excuse to do the exhaust system on the truck an the wife cant say no......lol This truck is gonna be the death of me I swear...But I love my Xtreme Blazer.........

cool......this is what she will sound like with no cats and a dynomax muffler

73WYoqBIemc
    Last edited by blazin4low; 05-09-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

Nice