Thread: keep my motor or swap it?

My Tape Deck Broke

keep my motor or swap it?

I have a 94 gmc jimmy with the v6. it runs strong but i would like to drive out of state 3 or 4 times this summer. I have a 95 caprice cop car with the lt1. I am not sure if i want to do the swap or sell the caprice for something else. Options would be another v8 swap or even a later year v6 swap or even putting a brand new stock motor in it. My fear is the lt1 will nickle and dime me to death and a stock new v6 would be good but every thing around it will fail. Im also dealing with california smog. and a very very small budget. What do you all think?
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

LT1s aren't terrible engines, but with the newer V8s not worth swapping IMO. Shop around and you can find a complete 5.3 for around $500 if you're good.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

sell the car, get an ls, do it right
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

My Tape Deck Broke
    i dont know if i can get much for the caprice. The one thing going for it is that it was in a super dry town. So theres very little to no rust. theres one dent in the car. The inside is toast.

How many miles are on the motor. Do u want to out that engine in your jimmy?

My Tape Deck Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by 87s10guy View Post
    How many miles are on the motor. Do u want to out that engine in your jimmy?
    not to sure what your asking but ill take a shot. The caprice has 95k on it I dont know what the jimmy engine has I think its be changed but the jimmy has almost 130k on it

are you tryin to put the lt1 from the caprice in the jimmy?

An LT1 swap would be sweet. . If you already have the LT1 then use it! Dont even think about spending money if you already have a decent v8 ready to swap. Prolly be much cheaper then a newer engine or lsx swap

My Tape Deck Broke
    yea the only draw back to the lt1 is nothing fits like the accessories and oil pan. I also plan to travel a lot so braking down in small towns might not have parts for the lt1.