Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: notch stresses on the frame

Quote Originally Posted by blazinmt View Post
    I can respect that guys research, however I personally can't recall seeing a thread where one of those commonly used notches failed. I mean, if bolt in notches (which they have sold and installed probably tens of thousands) were really 80% weaker, wouldn't we have a history of it by now??

*just thinking out loud*
    This is what Im thinking too. Ive never seen a properly done notch fail.
    2002 S10 Blazer 22's - currently undergoing a a major revamp!
    -->Project Full Feature<--
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

I think the main reason for his post is to show how notching your frame will weaken it with most bought notches. By notching your frame the stock towing and load capacity changes more than you think. Your towing capacity will be 80% lower than stock due to the notch. Unless you built and install a notch that will either make your frame stronger or as strong as the stock frame. Most of us that notch the frame are not planning on towing much more than a golf cart with camping supplies for a show.

and I will be welding mine and making the plates just for piece of mind
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

The guy is supporting properly done notches.

Just keep in mind that just because you've never seen one fail that it may not be smart to treat the frame as if nothing has changed. If the rear of the frame won't be loaded than there is almost no reason to have anything behind the notch, but if the truck will be towing or hauling a load in the bed it is wise to minimize how much the frame is weakened. Your safety as well as others are at risk.
    Black 'n Tanazer, Long Bed, Coupe Quattro, Old Caddy, Old Rice

Member of the SCUDS Task Force
    Spike Clean Up & Disposal Service

wow, I knew this would spark debate! mission accomplished!
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

and yes I still want to go in and box the frame around the notch, just incase
    04 EC Silverado 4.8L,Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, K&N, Viper, ACT, USSpeedo, Matrix, Whelen, Blackbear, 22" Eagles, Nittos,Russel,Magnaflow
    85 S-15 2.5L/4spd, RF P1 subs, highs & T4004, JL 250/1, SD 4-link, AIM LCAs, 1/2 valves, Blazer interior, 17" Eagles w/BFGs, phantom grill, 140 amp alt

My Tape Deck Broke
    Quote Originally Posted by flnole78 View Post
    This is what Im thinking too. Ive never seen a properly done notch fail.
    when he did his test he tested for a full size 1500 notch used on a c10. So of coaurse your going to have issues.

what he tested

proper bolt in notch

also beltech recommends adding there tow kit which adds a small load bag behind the axle which takes stress off of the notch and decreases suspension sag while under load.
    Honk if you love peace and quiet

I'm going to say it one more time just to make sure anyone who reads this in the future understands.

The primary thing to draw from the FEA analysis presented as well as the equations of bending stress prove the most important factor in maintaing frame strength is the height of the frame. There is just no getting around that with fancy bolt in notches, helper bags, welding plates to the side of the frame, etc.

If you want to disagree with me then feel free to show me a proof of how the equations of bending stress are incorrect.

Honestly it isn't that hard to follow the guy's advice, so don't make excuses. When towing or hauling don't put yourself or others in danger by not maintaining the factory frame height through the notch.
    Last edited by Harley; 05-11-2012 at 09:18 AM.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I'm going to say it one more time just to make sure anyone who reads this in the future understands.

The primary thing to draw from the FEA analaysis presented as well as the equations of bending stress prove the most important factor in maintaing frame strength is the height of the frame. There is just no getting around that with fancy bolt in notches, helper bags, welding plates to the side of the frame, etc.

If you want to disagree with me then feel free to show me a proof of how the equations of bending stress are incorrect.

Honestly it isn't that hard to follow the guy's advice, so don't make excuses. When towing or hauling don't put yourself or others in danger by not maintaining the factory frame height through the notch.
    When BlazinLow implements a "Like" option - I will be sure to Like the shit out of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post

The primary thing to draw from the FEA analaysis presented as well as the equations of bending stress prove the most important factor in maintaing frame strength is the height of the frame. There is just no getting around that with fancy bolt in notches, helper bags, welding plates to the side of the frame, etc.

I'd like to "Like" this as well.
    -You have 2 ears and one mouth, so u need to listen twice as much as u talk-

www.myspace.com/breakinnecksprez

http://www.streetsourcemag.com/im/vi...x?id=Blazed22s

http://members.cardomain.com/9chevblaze6

4 DOOR LOVE

My Tape Deck Broke
    guess you never owned a first gen blazer. Those frames are piss pore. If you try and go by your rule of thumb all your going to have is a taller piss pore frame. Plus if this was true people wouldn't be building dom tube chassies.

Quote Originally Posted by BigP View Post
    Guess you never owned a first gen blazer. Those frames are piss poor. If you try and go by your rule of thumb all you're going to have is a taller piss poor frame. Plus if this was true people wouldn't be building dom tube chassis.
    Please open your eyes. Seriously. You are not listening to a word I'm saying. I'm trying to be polite and not call you out directly for spreading misconceptions, but you are.

A DOM tube chassis is a completely different situation entirely. They use multiple tubes to create a taller frame section as well as tying them all together to create a large 3D structure to resist bending and twisting.

First gens don't have piss poor frames in terms of what they are rated to tow and haul. They were designed and validated to do exactly what GM rated them to haul. Besides starting with a "piss poor" frame and then removing some of the frame height will not help the situation.

Here is my first gen. Not a Blazer, but I am familiar with them.

IMAG0008 by TheHarley, on Flickr
    Last edited by Harley; 05-10-2012 at 01:31 PM.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    i think a key thing to also think of is a fully boxed frame, as well as over reinforced frame is not good as well... a car or trucks chassis is to flex some, this flex asorbes stress which prevents cracking... with out a frame or uni body flexing, stress cracks are more prone. food for thought as well.

you want the chassis to be strong but not overly strong
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

My Tape Deck Broke
    first gen blazer and s10 frame are completely different. And I think your trying to say surface area not taller.

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    how are first gen pickups and blazer frame different. They are pretty fucking similar, besides general shape of the rails firewall back.

They're so different parts from one won't bolt up to another.......:sarcasm:
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me