View Poll Results: Which Ignition setup?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Granatelli MPG+ wires with solid core

0 0%
  • Street fire MSD box with Accel 8.0mm spiral core ($40)

1 100.00%
  • Street fire MSD box with Accel 8.8mm spiral core ($70)

0 0%
  • Street fire MSD box with TAYLOR Spiro-Pro 8.0mm ($65)

0 0%

Thread: MSD IGNITION vs GRANATELLI Plug Wires

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar

MSD IGNITION vs GRANATELLI Plug Wires

When using a multi-spark discharge unit, you must use spiral core spark plug wires to control the emitted RFI and EMI levels; solid core wires cannot suppress these and cannot be used with a multi spark ignition box or it will wreak electrical havoc. I've already dropped the cash on this stuff, returns are not going to be possible. I'll be selling what I don't use to fund the progress......

PROBLEM: MSD box cannot work with solid cores, Granatelli MPG+ are solid stainless steel core

Granatelli 36-1595MPG Spark Plug Wires

vs

MSD StreetFire 5520 Capacitive Discharge Ignition Box

******I'm running a MSD StreetFire Coil, Accel Cap and Rotor, and Delco copper spark plugs just slightly above stock gap.******

SO, WHAT WILL GIVE ME THE BEST PERFORMANCE AND/OR BETTER MPG???
    Install the Ignition Box and pick up some spiral core wires?
    Install the direct fit and pre-assembled Granatellis?

I've read very modest/subtle gains from the ignition box reviews but not enough to really go on (and more people questioning their own installation); it is an MSD product and I know guys that swear by the 6A lines. I've also read a lot of really good reviews about the Granatellis on various cars and one claim of +3mpg came from an S-truck owner on jcshitney.

I have the crab-style cap - I need 180* straight wires as opposed to 90* bends. I also have a new set of unassembled Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro but they have 90* bends; all of the Accel pics are 90* but the Granatellis are specific to my 95 motor and 180* wires.
    Last edited by mattmobile; 07-01-2012 at 04:07 PM.