View Poll Results: Which Ignition setup?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Granatelli MPG+ wires with solid core

0 0%
  • Street fire MSD box with Accel 8.0mm spiral core ($40)

1 100.00%
  • Street fire MSD box with Accel 8.8mm spiral core ($70)

0 0%
  • Street fire MSD box with TAYLOR Spiro-Pro 8.0mm ($65)

0 0%

Thread: MSD IGNITION vs GRANATELLI Plug Wires

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar

MSD IGNITION vs GRANATELLI Plug Wires

When using a multi-spark discharge unit, you must use spiral core spark plug wires to control the emitted RFI and EMI levels; solid core wires cannot suppress these and cannot be used with a multi spark ignition box or it will wreak electrical havoc. I've already dropped the cash on this stuff, returns are not going to be possible. I'll be selling what I don't use to fund the progress......

PROBLEM: MSD box cannot work with solid cores, Granatelli MPG+ are solid stainless steel core

Granatelli 36-1595MPG Spark Plug Wires

vs

MSD StreetFire 5520 Capacitive Discharge Ignition Box

******I'm running a MSD StreetFire Coil, Accel Cap and Rotor, and Delco copper spark plugs just slightly above stock gap.******

SO, WHAT WILL GIVE ME THE BEST PERFORMANCE AND/OR BETTER MPG???
    Install the Ignition Box and pick up some spiral core wires?
    Install the direct fit and pre-assembled Granatellis?

I've read very modest/subtle gains from the ignition box reviews but not enough to really go on (and more people questioning their own installation); it is an MSD product and I know guys that swear by the 6A lines. I've also read a lot of really good reviews about the Granatellis on various cars and one claim of +3mpg came from an S-truck owner on jcshitney.

I have the crab-style cap - I need 180* straight wires as opposed to 90* bends. I also have a new set of unassembled Taylor 8mm Spiro-Pro but they have 90* bends; all of the Accel pics are 90* but the Granatellis are specific to my 95 motor and 180* wires.
    Last edited by mattmobile; 07-01-2012 at 04:07 PM.

the link you have for the Granatellis show they are spiral cores, so you shouldn't have a problem. MSD also sells a set of spiral core wires that are direct replacement for the vortecs. Not sure if they have them for the V6s but I have them on my V8 vortec.

Some guys have shown were the stock vortec system puts out plenty of spark and the MSD box doesn't add much of anything. Only reason I have the MSD box on my vortec is because I had it on my old 2.8 so I just wired it into the vortec
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Quote Originally Posted by blazin4low View Post
    the link you have for the Granatellis show they are spiral cores, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    That's Summit's fault. The box and the full description say SOLID stainless seel core; only the quick synopsis says spiral core. I'm way out of my 90 day return but they are still brand new....I'm wondering if I can send them back due to that mistake (but it's been a while).

I have a set of Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm wires on hand. I think I'm going to buy the 180 HEI boots and assemble them to fit.

Some people have told me to go the MSD box route strictly for resale value/hood pop effect. They say, and I understand, it's nice to see a box wired in more than a set of wires that will still need replaced at some point.

Reading the side of the box of the Granatellis, there is a bunch of "Features" and it says the set is RFI/EMI protected (there's a little ring on each wire, similar to the rings on power cords to a TV or playstations).

The MSD instructions specifically state not to be used with a solid core wire but I thought that was just because of RFI EMI signal. Is it more than that, like a charge on the wire? I'll call each company tomorrow but I wanted to order the boots tonight to get this started asap.

YES!!!!

Called MSD tech support to ask about the use of solid core wires; tech said it is only due to RFI/EMI emittance and that solid core cables cannot be run - nothing else. HOWEVER, solid core cables WITH RESISTOR BLOCKS INSTALLED are absolutely fine to use with an MSD ignition box.

Thread can be closed. THANKS blazin4low - you're always a help!

Anybody interested in a brand new set of blue Taylor 8mm spiro-core for v6 + coil (pn 72645)? Has 90* HEI and 90* socket style for distributor boots & 180* for spark plug boot. PM me an offer.