Thread: R&R flexplate without removing trans entirely

R&R flexplate without removing trans entirely

So BL1 has been chewing through starters for the last few years, like 1 or 2 per season. Ive been able to get $40 ebay replacements so I didnt really care about the actual cause

but after going thru another one, I realized today that my flexplate is bent. Looking at it from the side, it its wobbling forward and back when I crank it.

So I ordered a new TCI flexplate. My access to a lift has been cut off due to my friend getting a divorce and selling everything, lol.

Im going to attempt to R&R this in my driveway.

My plan is to replace the 4 lower bellhousing bolts with the longest bolt I can find, and use that to slide the trans back, while keeping it in position. I'll support the tailshaft with a jack, but I figure if its 'on rails' it will be very easy to mate it back to the engine.

Is this a great idea, or destined for failure?
    this is a test of the sig

In theory it sounds like it would work. I'll have to listen in on this one too.
    TRUCK WHORE '84 tahoe blazer, '89 blazer, '92 blazer 4dr, '93 s10, '93 GMC Typhoon, '94 blazer, '02 blazer xtreme, '03 s10 xcab, & now '91 4dr blazer
    http://noaffiliation.net/index.php?s...35fee061aa940b

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    I'd be carefully. The torque converter could slide out some some and not seat it's self properly when trans slides back. Catastrophic failed could occur. However I'm sure it could be done if your very careful
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

Ive actually done that before, not engaging the converter in fully before putting it all together. That was a noob mistake I made years ago. Blew the front trans pump and cost me $400 to fix, lol.

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    Lol be careful then!
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love

I have done it on 4wd s-series. on those you have to remove the t-case to get the trans out. its not hard to unbolt the trans and convertor then slide the trans back a few inches and get a long handled ratchet in there.

Starting tomorrow. Bought this POS jack from harbor freight:

It was only $67.xx so we'll see.

Got the flexplate today. Had to figure out exactly what I needed. My motor is a 1987 350cid 1 piece rear main, so I needed an externally balanced flywheel with the weight on it.

TCI 399773

this job is a fucking nightmare!

The long bolts was a fail. Not enough room in the tunnel.

That jack kinda sucks, but its not terrible.

Got the trans detached pretty easy. Had to remove the distributor to get the trans to dip down for the top bellhousing bolts.

Taking off the old flywheel was an ordeal. The engine builder used the wrong flywheel bolts. He used ARP bolts with the big 3/4" 12-point head. I couldnt find a socket that would fit, because the crank flange was in the way. I eventually got them off and bought the correct ARP bolts, specified to fit an external balanced flywheel. They have a smaller, 5/8" head, still 12-pt.

Took me all afternoon to get the trans back to the motor.

From experience, I've done it both ways and what it comes down to its better just to unbolt the tranny from the motor and have enough room to get your hand in. Moving it back just a few inches just so you can slide a long ratchet wrench in doesn't save time, it will just piss you off trying wedge everything in including your hand. take the extra time and just do it the right way.

yeah, well Im buying a house soon, with a garage. And the first thing I buy is some sort of lift. Whether its a backyard buddy or I can put a full height on in there, its happening.

Im tired (and too old) to be doing this shit on my back.

I marked my distributor before I pulled it out, but I mustve rubbed the marks off. Now I gotta find TDC and re-time it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blazin Low View Post
    yeah, well Im buying a house soon, with a garage. And the first thing I buy is some sort of lift. Whether its a backyard buddy or I can put a full height on in there, its happening.

Im tired (and too old) to be doing this shit on my back.

I marked my distributor before I pulled it out, but I mustve rubbed the marks off. Now I gotta find TDC and re-time it.
    if its not one things it's another..i still havent been able to get the air out of the damn slave cylinder for it to go into gear and also the rain doesnt help

I hear you on the weather, up in PA its been raining for days straight.

I had my blazer out in the driveway to do the work, but I moved it into my garage. Tight fit, but clean floor and I can work on it all night.

Im actually going to play with it now.

weather cleared up for a bit today got the tranny out and found that the clutch fork is loose where it clips on. hope that will take care of my problem..

Banned
    yes i agree with miami, it is easier and quicker to just remove the trans completely. You have to undo everything to move the trans back 4 inches or so, so all you gotta do is just drop it the rest of the way out....well, remove the crossmember too...

A 4wd like Mark mentioned is the only way i would even think about leaving the trans in....4wd's on an s-series is a cock sucker.

89' S10 blazer 4wd: 355, 650 dp, rpm intake, comp 282 roller cam, modified vortecs, T56 Six speed, 8.8 ls rear, headers, x-pipe, spintech pro street mufflers, and......AC

Blazer burnout video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP7iLypoDI4