Thread: holy cow. 1999 rearend replaced with 2002 and its to short

Hybrid View

Question holy cow. 1999 rearend replaced with 2002 and its to short

Hello and would like to say awesome site and trucks here!!!
    I have a 99 Blazer 4x4 with toast rear end. Installed another from junk yard. They said it was 2002 and would bolt right in...Well it did bolt right in but is short maybe 4 or 5 inches. Would it be all right to add wheel spacers 2 inches to both wheels. The old rear end has the disk brakes toward the front and the 2002 has them on the back, but everything bolts right in. Any help is greatly needed

you installed a 2wd rear axle. you need one from a 4x4.

Thanks for the reply 6speed. Do you think 2 inch spacers will be ok to install.

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    Get the right part instead of a band-aid. Spacers can be really annoying to deal with.

Man the junkyard that sold me the rear end will not take it back so I am stuck with it and have already installed. It is just a little bit short. Are the spacers dangerous. Thanks for all the replies and help

My S-10 fleet is gone... s10blazed's Avatar
    When used properly, small spacers are safe. I used 1.5 inch spacers on my pickup for years with zero issues. Of course I kept them torqued properly and checked them often. I also didn't drive it year-round.

That said, I still recommend you suck up the mistake and get THE RIGHT PART. Your life will be so much easier - especially down the road... I know, you'll say its alright and you don't mind the spacers... but we'll see if you still say that years down the road after dealing with them dozens of times. Throw a fit at the junkyard if you have to. Just don't accept that it is the wrong axle and spend more to rig it.

Quote Originally Posted by s10blazed View Post
    When used properly, small spacers are safe. I used 1.5 inch spacers on my pickup for years with zero issues. Of course I kept them torqued properly and checked them often. I also didn't drive it year-round.

That said, I still recommend you suck up the mistake and get THE RIGHT PART. Your life will be so much easier - especially down the road... I know, you'll say its alright and you don't mind the spacers... but we'll see if you still say that years down the road after dealing with them dozens of times. Throw a fit at the junkyard if you have to. Just don't accept that it is the wrong axle and spend more to rig it.
    MAKE SURE THE GEARING IN THE REAR END IS THE SAME AS THE FRONT DIFFERENTIAL OR YOU'LL HAVE PROBLEMS WHEN YOU ENGAGE THE 4WD SYSTEM DIFFERENT SIZE GEARS WILL WANT TO SPIN AT DIFFERENT RATES AND YOU'LL DESTROY SOMETHING....

you could use some 2wd wheels for the back..

'93 Typhoon / 97 Isuzu C-Town216's Avatar
    I don't know if u have already invested in wheels or not but a FWD offset for the front and sum deep dish 4 the rear iz a pretty hot look IMO.
    "All I need iz 1 mic"