Thread: WELDING ROCKERS(sheet metal) WITH A STICK WELDER? is it possible???????

Hybrid View

Question WELDING ROCKERS(sheet metal) WITH A STICK WELDER? is it possible???????

i recently got a welder from my grandfather and i need to get some rocker sills put on my 99 ford f-150 the rockers i got are prety thick compared to some sheet metals is this posible with lots of practice people are argueing with me telling me its not a good idea but i know its all my grandfather ever used for any welds plz someone help!!!!!!

i was kinda hoping somebody here would give me some feedback by today but i guese none of you guys can help me

Doesnt look like this supernova's Avatar
    its not a great idea. It also depends on how the rockers are welded on. If there are any seams that need to be fully welded it might not work so good. If you can get away with it all being put together with spot welds at the pinch and in the jam area, then it should be a big deal. Stick rods start to get stuck, and not want to ark when you turn the heat down to low. But anything is possible with enough patience. The only experience i have with stick is on thick stuff and multi pass welds, but find some scrap the same thickness and see if you can get some tacks on it without a gross amount of warping if you need to weld a full seam

ok thank you i am going to make an attempt with scraps like you were saying i will post back and let you guys know how she works in the end

will work for food! phatfarmer2's Avatar
    dont bother.. get a mig welder, do it right.
    Grounded 4 Life
    "continuing where the factory left off"

Street Source page

Projects i've done

V8 Love
    Pneumatic Love