Thread: Vacuum issues? Distributer off? Smoking?

Hybrid View

Vacuum issues? Distributer off? Smoking?

First off I drive a 98 Blazer 4x4 4.3 AUTO

ok now that we have tha part out the way, i had a shop replace the motor but they never finished it and i had to steal my vehicle back from them. they had multiple vacuum hoses unhooked but the truck was "driveable" and didnt smoke. I hooked up all the vacuum hoses and reset the dizzy and now it smokes but "seems" to run smooth. The check engine light it is throwing is a Crankshaft Pos. Sensor which i have replaced twice. i am thinking that the vaccum may be off causeing the smoke....specifically the vacuum hose from the drivers side valce cover. I am in need of a visual vacuum diagram and a pic to help me out here im close to having everything tied up. Thanks for your help in advance

there's only about 4 vacuum hoses on the 4.3. One big one for the brake booster going to the middle of the upper intake. Then one medium one from the driver's side upper intake to the PCV valve on the driver's side valve cover, and then a small line from the PCV vacumm on the upper intake to the vacumm ball which tees off with another small line to the inside for the A/C vents.

Not sure about the smoke, but if the PCV valve is not there or not working, you could be sucking up oil from the vavle cover into the intake causing the smoke. Just a thought.

best I can do right now for a vacuum lay out
    Last edited by blazin4low; 05-06-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: add picture
    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/VortecBlazer/sidredo.jpg
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Transmission built by Transbuilderguy on FSC!
    Marine Intake swap by me

Thought it was unloaded.. mattmobile's Avatar
    Without telling us where the smoke is emitting or what it smells like, PCV is the best guess. It could also be something simple like oil spilled down the side of the block the last tine it was filled.

Take your battery off for a few hours to clear the problem code. You may have fixed the sensor but the error code may still be tripped. Force clearing through the ecm or ob2 will also work.

Thanks Blazin4low that was exaxtly what i was looking for....... the pvc valve may be bad and sucking oil in to that sensor that it plugs into.....it wasnt smoking when i got it back from the shop but the sensor that the hose plugs into from the pvc was pluged???? kinda weird but the smoke is white/blueish and smells like water mostly but the headgasket isnt blown im sure. i will update when i can get off work

There shouldn't be a sensor on the PCV valve. A PCV valve is just a one way valve, it should "look" plugged and rattle a little.
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

WELL THERES ANOTHER PROBLEM I HAVE.......damnit! when i get off i will be taking a better look at things

UPDATE: all vacuum lines are good to go....now the issue is that the truck smokes at idle and when you go out to test drive it POURS white/greyish smoke out the tailpipe when on and off the gas. Im pretty sure the distributor is off a tooth but i have tried setting it everyway i possible can. I AM SO LOST WITH THIS TRUCK!!!!!
    lol

good deal with the vacuum lines. You said in your first post the shop was replacing the motor. Did they put a used motor in or a new motor? It sounds like your valve seals are bad, might be time for some head work.
    Tuned by Bland Tuning
    Marine Intake swap by me

i now have the truck hooked up to a scantool......and it runs but it still smokes a little when u give it gas

scantool reads
    0* of ignition timing at idle and -4.4* at 2000rpms

What im trying to figure out now it what degrees of ignition timing should it read up throttle idle is no big deal it reads 0* practically all the time its under load it has problems and i cant see the damn markings on the harmonic balancer to set it that way???????

the shop put in a used motor. BUT im almost sure they (valve seals) arent blown the truck ran "fine" when i picked it up BUT was throwing P1345 code so i KNOW that the dizzy is off, and for that matter it didnt smoke at all it was just REALY low on power.

check your oil. is it milky? hate to say it but it sounds like your intake or head gasket might be spent. mine does the exact same. thought it was the pcv valve though it was bad it wasnt the problem. check your oil! id even drain it and watch it closely see if you get any water out of it. if the oils mixed with the water it will appear milky.
    1985 Chevy s-10 Blazer 4x4
    2000 Chevy s-10 LS Standard Cab

No oil and coolant arent mixing......but its funny i can get it close enough timed so that it doesnt smoke but its low on power.

UPDATE: i ended up taking it to the dealership and im awaiting the verdict(crossedfingers)